Will Smith has been banned from Academy events for 10 years after taking the stage at the Oscars last month and punching comedian Chris Rock in the face. 50 Cent was one of the first celebrities to comment on the ban on Friday
Video not available
50 Cent said the Oscars got Will Smith “dirty” after banning the actor from Academy events for a decade.
The 10-year ban came after he took the stage and slapped Chris Rock in the face for making a joke about his wife Jada Pinkett Smith.
Will, who won an Oscar for his performance in King Richard, was allowed to keep his award.
Following news of his ban, 50 Cent – real name Curtis Jackson – took to Twitter to slam the decision.
“Damn, they’re making Will dirty. This is too hard so he can’t come back until he’s 63 years old,” he tweeted.
“And the lawsuit isn’t even over yet. SMH.”
AFP via Getty Images)
Rapper Disco Inferno isn’t the only star reacting to the news, as Ricky Gervais took to social media to crack a joke.
“Hopefully he survives just 6 years with good behavior,” he wrote.
After news of Will’s ban broke, Will said, “I accept and respect the Academy’s decision.”
An investigation into his actions was launched following last month’s star-studded ceremony.
“The Board has determined that for a period of 10 years beginning April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not participate, in person or virtually, in any Academy events or programs, including but not limited to the Academy Awards.” CNN Academy President David Rubin and CEO Dawn Hudson said in a statement Friday.
The decision was reportedly made during a Board of Governors meeting held in Los Angeles earlier in the day.
Will resigned from the academy and apologized to Chris, but the comedian has yet to publicly address the slap.
AFP via Getty Images)
Get the biggest showbiz news straight to your inbox. Sign up for the free Mirror Showbiz newsletter.
Since then he has even turned off hecklers on comedy shows several times.
Chris may not be ready to speak out about the attack, but the star’s brother was keen to give his opinion on the matter – previously saying he would like to see the actor’s award for The Academy’s Best Actor revoked.
“Every time I watch the videos, it’s like a replay going on over and over in my head,” Kenny Rock said Los Angeles Times earlier this week.
“My brother wasn’t a threat to him and you just didn’t have any respect for him at that moment. They just belittled him in front of millions of people watching the show.
Do you have a story to sell? Contact us at email@example.com or call us directly on 0207 29 33033.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/50-cent-slams-smiths-10-26672503 50 Cent slams Will Smith's 10-year Oscar ban, calling it 'too harsh'