The Old Post Office, Kilternan, Co Dublin €850,000
With the Dublin and Wicklow Mountains as a backdrop and surrounded by lush green fields, Kilternan has all the hallmarks of a rural Irish village despite being only half an hour’s drive from the city.
For now, while developers and agents predict a population explosion in the coming years, Dublin’s south suburb remains a green place with a rural flair.
Between the Blue Church and the Golden Ball/Farmer Brown gastropub is a house known as “The Old Post Office”.
Built in the 1860s, it was purchased in 1899 by the Willis family who saw an opportunity to generate income by running a retail business from their home.
The National Archives record that Edward Willis lived there in 1911 with his wife Annie, their three adult children, and 24-year-old servant James Tomkins.
For over 90 years the Willis family home served as the post office, grocery store and hardware center for the entire Kilternan/Glencullen area.
It had the first telephone in the area – the number was “Kilternan 1” – and even sold gunpowder to workers at local lead mines. In recent years it has housed an art gallery, bridal shop and café.
With a floor area of 3,012 square feet, the historic home is in need of a facelift, but in 2006 the heavy lifting was done with double glazed windows, rewiring, plumbing and insulation.
There are many historical elements in the entrance hall, living room, kitchen, TV room, four bedrooms and a bathroom.
The closed commercial unit has three rooms, a kitchenette and a bathroom.
The Old Post Office, in the same family for over 120 years, is ready for a new life at a price of €895,000 through Property Partners O’Brien Swaine: (01) 298 8508.
https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/a-new-lease-of-life-at-the-old-dublin-post-office-that-sold-everything-from-stamps-to-gunpowder-41648971.html A new lease of life in the old Dublin Post Office, which sold everything from stamps to gunpowder