A woman (66) had 50 cylindrical batteries removed from her stomach and colon at St Vincent’s Hospital in Dublin

A 66-year-old woman had 50 cylindrical batteries removed from her stomach and colon by surgeons at St Vincent’s Hospital in Dublin, a new case report revealed.

He had also passed five AA batteries shortly after the admission, bringing the total number of people taken in an apparent act of intentional self-harm to 55 – which doctors believe is a record.

An X-ray taken after the patient was presented to the hospital’s emergency department showed “multiple batteries” located in her abdomen, according to the case report published in this month’s Irish Medical Journal.

However, there was no evidence of obstruction, perforation, or damage to the structural integrity of the batteries, so a course of conservative management was pursued and the patient passed five batteries over the course of a week.

The other batteries, including AA and AAA types, did not improve her digestive system and she began to complain of abdominal pain and loss of appetite.

An operation to remove the objects was therefore decided upon, which found that the patient’s stomach had swollen downward into the supracommon area.

The surgeons removed a total of 46 batteries from her stomach, while another four that were in her colon were “milked” into the rectum and removed, the case report said.

The patient’s recovery after the procedure was “uneventful,” he added. However, the report’s authors noted that the potential of cylindrical batteries to lead to surgical emergencies should not be underestimated.

They said cylindrical battery ingestion is a “rare” method of self-harm that has the potential for several serious complications, including mucosal lacerations, perforations and obstructions.

Although uncommon, the case report found that the incidence of fatal and serious battery ingestions is increasing.

“Ingestion of larger cylindrical batteries is less common, so no clear practice guidelines have been developed. Possible options for managing ingestion of cylindrical batteries include conservative management, endoscopic extraction, or surgical removal.

“To the best of our knowledge, this case represents the highest reported number of batteries swallowed at a single time,” added the report, written by a team of radiologists and colon surgeons at St Vincent’s Hospital.

https://www.independent.ie/news/woman-66-had-50-cylindrical-batteries-removed-from-her-stomach-and-colon-at-st-vincents-hospital-in-dublin-41992966.html A woman (66) had 50 cylindrical batteries removed from her stomach and colon at St Vincent’s Hospital in Dublin

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button