A young adult in Galway has died of meningitis B

A young adult in Galway had died from meningitis B, making it the third death from the potentially deadly infection in recent weeks.

The two previous deaths occurred in Dublin and Limerick and there is no link between the three tragedies.

The HSE West confirmed that its Department of Health, covering the West and North West, is investigating a single case of confirmed meningococcal disease in Galway.

They were informed that the young person later sadly passed away.

Close contacts identified by public health have been contacted and offered treatment in line with national guidelines, a spokeswoman said today.

“Person-to-person spread of meningococcal disease is very uncommon, particularly among others who are not part of a household or do not have close physical personal contact,” she said.

Meningitis is a serious condition involving inflammation of the membranes that line the brain and spinal cord. It can be caused by a variety of different germs, mainly bacteria and viruses.

Bacterial meningitis is less common but usually more serious than viral meningitis and requires urgent treatment with antibiotics.

“Bacterial meningitis can be accompanied by septicemia (blood poisoning). The bacteria live naturally in the nose and throat of normal healthy people without causing disease. The bacteria are spread by droplets from the nose and mouth. The disease is most common in young children and adolescents, usually as isolated cases,” she said.

Bacterial meningitis or septicemia require urgent antibiotic treatment.

Although the risk to the general public is considered low, the HSE has urged the general public to be aware of the signs and symptoms of this disease. This can include:

· Strong headache;

· Fever;

· vomiting;

· drowsiness;

· discomfort from bright light;

· neck stiffness;

· Rash.

“We advise that anyone with concerns should contact their GP immediately and ensure medical expertise is sought.”

https://www.independent.ie/news/young-adult-in-galway-has-died-from-meningitis-b-42048293.html A young adult in Galway has died of meningitis B

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button