News

Anders Behring Breivik, Norwegian terrorist, refused parole

Anders Behring Breivik, the Norwegian terrorist who killed 77 people in gun and bomb attacks in 2011, was denied pardon by a Norwegian court on Tuesday, saying he “showed no empathy.” and compassion for the victims of terrorism”.

Mr Breivik, 42, who served 10 years of a 21-year sentence for the attacks, shows no sign that his radical views have waned during his years in custody. As the amnesty trial began on January 18, he entered the courtroom and gave a Nazi salute. He also carried and wore placards with racist messages, including one that read, “Stop your genocide against our white nations.”

Addressing the judge, Mr Breivik demanded that he be treated like a prisoner of war.

Judge Dag Bjorvik oversaw the parole hearing, which lasted for two weeks and was held at Skien prison for security reasons.

Mr Breivik’s lawyer, Oystein Storrvik, confirmed that they would appeal the ruling, after expressing pessimism at the start of the hearing. “No Norwegian lawyer wants a case that starts with a Hitler salute,” he said in an interview with The Times last month. He said he was not particularly concerned about Mr Breivik’s pardon, adding that his long-term strategy was “to improve the conditions in which he is serving time in prison”.

On 22 July 2011, Mr Breivik detonated a fertilizer bomb in central Oslo, killing eight people. He then opened fire at a summer camp on the island of Utoya, killing 69 people, most of them teenagers. The camp is organized by the youth arm of the country’s centre-left Labor Party.

The ruling said Mr Breivik “expressed his grief verbally to those affected – but at the same time, he defended and was able to legitimize his actions by saying that most of those affected were affected by his words.” The influence on Utoya is not children, but people with ‘leadership positions.’ This was despite the fact that he must have known that among those killed were children as young as 14 years old. “

At the start of the parole hearing, Hulda Karlsdottir, the lead prosecutor, said Mr Breivik should stay in prison and that he would “remain dangerous after serving his sentence.”

She added: “Both survivors and loved ones were left with endless mourning, and the atrocities committed are unparalleled in Norwegian history.”

Mr Breivik, who legally changed his name to Fjotolf Hansen in 2017, said he carried out the attack as part of a campaign of violence against the Muslim invasion of Europe, which he said was contribute to the country’s “cultural suicide”.

Mr Breivik was convicted of terrorism and murder in 2012 and sentenced to 21 years in prison, the maximum sentence under Norwegian law. The sentence can be extended indefinitely if he is seen as a continuing threat to society.

Mr Breivik last appeared before Norwegian and European courts in 2016 to argue that his lengthy solitary confinement equated to torture. He is being held in a three-room suite that includes a treadmill, refrigerator, TV with DVD player and Sony PlayStation. He also threatened a hunger strike.

Lisbeth Kristine Royneland, spokesperson for Families of victims and survivors of the attacks, said she was worried Mr Breivik would use the hearing as a platform to expose his brand of violent extremism. Ms Royneland, whose daughter Synne Royneland was killed in the attack on Utoya, said: “The focus should be as little as possible on the terrorist and his message.

Pal Grondahl, a forensic psychologist in Oslo who has followed the case, said in an interview that Mr Breivik seemed “very similar to the Breivik we saw both in 2012 and 2016”. He added: “Based on his behavior so far, he seems to be looking for attention without empathy and he has some major delusions about himself.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/01/world/europe/anders-behring-breivik-norway-parole.html Anders Behring Breivik, Norwegian terrorist, refused parole

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button