Baby P’s mother is released from prison 13 years after a case that shocked Britain

The parole board’s decision on Tracey Connelly, the mother of the tragic baby P, who suffered more than 50 injuries at the hands of her partner Steven Barker and his pedophile brother Jason Owen, came this morning

Baby Peter Connelly was just 17 months old when he died
Baby Peter Connelly was just 17 months old when he died

Baby P’s mother, Tracey Connelly, who shocked the world with her horrific crimes against her 17-month-old son Peter, is set to be released.

She was jailed at the Old Bailey in 2009 for causing or allowing the death of little Peter at their home in Tottenham, north London, on 3 August 2007.

Known publicly as Baby P, he had sustained more than 50 injuries over a period of eight months at the hands of her partner Steven Barker and his pedophile brother Jason Owen.

This is despite the fact that the young person was on the risk register and received 60 visits from social workers, police officers and health professionals over the same period.

Connelly admitted to the offense and was sentenced to an injunction to protect the public (IPP) with a minimum sentence of five years.

This is her fourth parole review since her incarceration.

Tracey Connelly was jailed again after violating the terms of her probation



The decision was due to be made last year but was delayed due to more reports and information.

In a statement, a spokesman for the parole board said: “We can confirm that a panel of the parole board has ordered the release of Tracey Connolly following an oral hearing.

“The parole board’s decisions focus solely on what risk a prisoner might pose to the public if released and whether that risk is manageable in the community.

“Probation tests are conducted thoroughly and with the utmost care. Protecting the public is our top priority.”

Connelly was released in 2013 but jailed again two years later after violating the terms of her parole by selling indecent photos of herself online.

It was reported last year that Connelly may have to agree to take a lie detector test to prove she won’t reoffend.

After previous reviews in 2015 and 2017, the parole board reviewed her case for a third time in 2019 and refused to either release her or transfer her to an open prison.

In 2020, she lost an appeal against the parole board’s recent decision not to parole her.

Connelly was pictured enjoying fast food while being licensed out



stepfather still in prison

Last March, the tragic tot’s stepfather had his parole application denied and was told he had to remain in a maximum security prison because he refused to face his crimes.

Steven Barker, 44, was jailed in 2007 for “causing or allowing the death of a child.”

The decision was made after the panel heard evidence from psychiatrists and prison officials who said the unrepentant Barker failed to address his sickening urges, they say.

Barker’s risk factors included “the impact on him of previous life experiences, his ability to become sexually aroused around very young children, his inability to control extreme emotions, and his relationship difficulties,” the panel was told, according to the Sun.

Steven Barker was Connelly’s partner



Jason Owen was Barker’s pedophile brother




After the death of baby Peter, an account died of the incompetence of almost everyone who was supposed to protect him.

The toddler, now known by his full name Peter Connelly, would still be alive if doctors, social workers, lawyers and police officers did their jobs, previously classified documents showed.

The papers described the appalling scale of the mistakes that led to the 17-month-old man being tortured and beaten to death.

A family doctor did not respond to his bruises, police did not investigate the injuries and a meeting to get him taken care of was postponed.

Crucially, social workers needed to know that mother Tracey Connelly was living with the violent Stephen Barker and his brother Jason Owen.

Missed chances to rescue him were detailed in two reputable case reviews that were published in full in October 2010.

Connelly was sent back to prison for violating her bail conditions



So far only summaries and conclusions had been published.

The second review, ordered after the first was found insufficient, was damning.

The “terrible death should have been prevented” and the abuse “stopped at the first serious incident”.

It added: “In this case, the practice of the majority, both individually and collectively, was … incompetent.” Their approach was grossly inadequate and did not live up to the challenge of the case.”

The report criticized Peter’s GP for failing to raise an alarm over suspicious bruises he found on the child’s head and chest after the boy appeared to have fallen down the stairs.

Police were blasted for not properly investigating injuries, while staff at the school attended by the toddler’s siblings failed to mention problems with his mother.

Connelly was released from license in 2013 but sent back to prison


Julian Hamilton/Sunday Mirror)

Social workers and their managers never “seriously” thought Peter was hurt or in danger. Child protection officers should have realized that the psychopath Barker lived in the same house.

The toddler’s social worker was told his mother had a partner, but did not ask who he was or if he wanted to meet him. Connelly even named her abusive boyfriend as next of kin.

Social workers should have been on the alert about the condition of the house, which was “disorganized, dirty and smelly: it smelled like dog urine” and the children, all of whom had head lice.

Connelly’s troubled childhood should have been noted.

Graham Badman, who led the review, said: “We are making it very clear that Peter’s death could and should have been avoided.”

Mr Badman insisted child protection has changed in Haringey, adding: “If Peter is to have a legacy, children are safer.”

Children’s Minister Tim Loughton said: “It would be in everyone’s interest if we could learn lessons, find closure and move on.”

Who else failed, Baby Peter?

Head of Child Care

Sharon Shoesmith, who has been removed from her job by the government, according to an independent report. She later won £679,452 in compensation after a wrongful dismissal lawsuit, the BBC reports.

Sharon Shoesmith won an unfair dismissal lawsuit




Maria Ward visited the home at least nine times. Dismissed and lost wrongful dismissal case


dr Sabah al-Zayyat failed to fully examine the baby, failed to notice his broken back and was struck off the medical register.

A GMC panel has granted her request for “voluntary de-registration”, meaning she avoids a full hearing and can continue to practice outside the UK.


George Meehan was a leader during the Victoria Climbié scandal. Stop after Baby P is reported.

Continue reading

Continue reading Baby P's mother is released from prison 13 years after a case that shocked Britain

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button