Bacterial outbreak: Parents warned after schoolchild dies

That UK Health Security Agency confirmed the schoolchild’s death while another is currently in hospital battling the invasive infection found at a Surrey primary school.

The 6-year-old first grader at Ashford Church of England contracted group A streptococcal infection (iGAS), a type of infection known to cause scarlet fever.

The child unfortunately and suddenly died from the infection, which warned other parents about the emergency.

In an email to carers, the school said: “As a precautionary measure, we have recommended antibiotics for students and staff in the same grades as those affected. We have advised the school to prevent further cases and will continue to monitor the situation.”

Group A Streptococci are known to cause scarlet fever, throat infections and, in some cases, invasive disease.

This occurs when the bacteria reach parts of the body where they are not normally found, such as the lungs, blood, and muscles.

This can happen when it passes through a person’s immune system through an open wound.

However, most people who come into contact with the bacteria are healthy and free of symptoms.

symptoms of infection

Here are the symptoms associated with the outbreak:

  • sore throat – Some symptoms can cause a sore throat, tonsils, pain when swallowing, muscle aches and fatigue in the infected person.
  • Scarlet fever – Symptoms include a sore throat, swollen glands and fever. This can also cause red spots on the skin as well as red bumps on the tongue.
  • Necrotizing fasciitis – This leads to deep, painful sores on the skin, as well as fever, vomiting, diarrhea, septic shock and organ failure.
  • impetigo – Sores and blisters on the skin that may rupture, leaving a moist area with a yellow/brown crust.
  • cellulite – Red and inflamed skin that is swollen and feels hot, tight and painful.

If you or your child experience these symptoms, please contact the NHS on 111.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23151704.bacteria-outbreak-parents-warned-school-child-dies/?ref=rss Bacterial outbreak: Parents warned after schoolchild dies

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button