The popular news anchor, 66, has been diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer in 2014 and returned to his broadcasting role in April of that year after announcing he would be taking a hiatus in October 2021.
Since his initial diagnosis, Mr. Alagiah has undergone around 100 rounds of chemotherapy.
The 66-year-old said: “A recent scan showed my cancer had continued to spread so it’s tough stuff again.
“I miss my colleagues. Working on the editorial board was such an important part of keeping energy and motivation.
“I look forward to being back in this studio as soon as possible.”
The news was confirmed by his agent, Mary Greenham Daily Mail has reported.
The broadcaster opened up about his return to the BBC in a recent interview with the Sunday Telegraph as he continues to battle cancer.
Speaking about his return to the BBC, he said: “Going to the newsroom doesn’t kill cancer cells, that’s for sure.
“When I leave this editorial office at seven in the evening, I’ve been there since morning, physically exhausted but mentally rejuvenated.
“I’ve been with people who treat me like they always have, who don’t patronize me, and it’s a huge boost.”
CONTINUE READING: Bowel Babe Deborah James, 40, shares a heartbreaking final message
CONTINUE READING: Colon Cancer: The Signs and Symptoms You Should Know
After his initial diagnosis, the former BBC foreign correspondent underwent 17 rounds of chemotherapy in 2014 to treat his advanced colon cancer.
Returning to his presenting duties in 2015, he described himself as a “richer person” after progressing with the disease.
His cancer returned in December 2017 and the presenter underwent further treatment before returning to work.
Last year, Alagiah tested positive for Covid-19 after making the decision, on the advice of doctors and colleagues, to stop performing in the studio.
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23042807.bbc-news-presenter-george-alagiah-take-break-cancer-spreads/?ref=rss BBC News presenter George Alagiah is on hiatus as his cancer spreads