Lifestyle

Benidorm holiday warning as half of hotels forced to close

BENIDORM is facing its worst start to the new year, with around 50% of hotels closing due to a sharp drop in tourist arrivals.

Hoteliers say the situation is dire and only comes around a time when all hotels are closed at the height of the coronavirus pandemic.

Hotels in Benidorm remain closed due to pandemic

2

Hotels in Benidorm remain closed due to pandemic

They say the weeks after Christmas until mid-February are always the quietest for the hotel industry but this year will also be the hardest.

A hotel spokesperson said: “Benidorm started the year with almost 50% of its properties closed, a complicated situation that only exceeds the number of months of total closures it has had to undertake due to restrictions. of the pandemic”.

“The wave of hotel closures and a lack of foreign or national tourists also affecting bars and restaurants has seen how empty the city’s streets are after the Christmas period.”

Álex Fratini, a representative of the hotel association Abreca, told the Spanish press: “Many hotels have decided to ‘shut down’, either to go on holiday, to improve and renovate their premises or simply simply because ‘lack of work’ is not profitable to open every day. “

According to Abreca data, of its nearly 1,300 affiliates, “50% are closed right now because ‘it’s not worth it’.”

The hotel association, Hosbec has also confirmed that Benidorm has seen its average occupancy rate drop by nearly 10 percentage points within a week.

The destination’s average occupancy was 43.7% between January 3 and 9.

“This is the second worst winter in the history of the tourism industry after 2021, when everything had to be closed due to the pandemic,” said President Toni Mayor.

Domestic tourists accounted for 44.3% of total tourist arrivals this week, leaving 55.7% of importance to the international market.

UK tourists maintained their position as the main and consolidated international source market with 34.2% of the total rental quota while in second and third place were Belgium and the Netherlands with respectively 8.1% and 8%.

For the January 10-16 forecast, it is expected to hit 32.5%.

A predicted number, if released, would confirm the industry’s pessimistic expectations after the Christmas break.

Currently, a total of 48 hotels affiliated with HOSBEC are open in Benidorm, accounting for 42.5%.

Despite the bleak outlook, Hosbec said Benidorm is still performing relatively well relative to other national destinations and Britons remain loyal.

Mayor Toni said: “The presence of 34% of Britons in Benidorm as restrictions were not lifted.

The resort hopes that some sort of normalcy will return by the end of February.

“Expectation for a spring and summer without limits and with a normalized epidemiological situation,” he said.

Spain is now open to Britons, though All arrivals must be vaccinated.

Hotels hope to start reopening once restrictions are eased

2

Hotels hope to start reopening once restrictions are eased

https://www.thesun.ie/travel/8217708/benidorm-holiday-warning-hotels-closed/ Benidorm holiday warning as half of hotels forced to close

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button