“Birthmark nearly killed our little girl when rare growth in throat blocked airway”


Little Mia Rogers was hospitalized when she developed a high-pitched wheeze at five weeks old and now a year later dad Jon is raising funds after a 34-mile run

Jon and daughter Mia
Jon and daughter Mia

A toddler is lucky to be alive after a birthmark grows IN her neck.

Little Mia Rogers was taken to hospital when she developed a high-pitched wheeze at five weeks old.

At one point, she was put on a ventilator and doctors warned her parents that their baby could die.

Mia was repeatedly hospitalized before the rare subglottic hemangioma — blood vessels that form a birthmark — was identified.

Medication kept it at bay for a while, but it kept growing and Mia had to have emergency surgery to remove it.

Mum Sophie Collins said: “Doctors said Mia was breathing through this tiny hole and if I had left it much longer she would have stopped breathing.

“You hear about moles all the time, but Mia’s type is very rare. Your advisor only handles about two a year.”

Jon, Sophie, Isla and Mia in front of Evelina London on race day

Mia when she was taken to the hospital

Mia, now 13 months old, is ‘thriving’ thanks to the ear, nose and throat team at Evelina London Children’s Hospital.

“You gave me so much support and care at a time when I needed it most,” added Sophie, 32. “Without her, Mia could have died.”

Sophie, also a mother to two-year-old Isla, said Mia was perfectly fine for the first month of her life, then her breathing became labored.

She was examined at Medway Hospital in Kent but discharged.

Within a few days her breathing became much louder. After being rushed to the hospital with blue lights flashing, medics suspected she had croup — an infection common in infants — or laryngomalacia, known as a flaccid airway.

Mia was discharged on steroid medication. Then on April 30 last year – Sophie’s birthday – Mia started wheezing again and was taken to Evelina London, part of Guy’s and St Thomas’s NHS Foundation Trust.

Mia’s airwaves reveal the birthmark

Sophie added: “It was so scary. Because they didn’t know what was in her airway, the team had to prepare us for the possibility that she could die.” Mia spent seven days on a ventilator and a two-hour operation revealed the problem. She was given medication to reduce the mole and allowed to go home.

But in August, Mia was quickly re-admitted and 10 days later she required surgery to remove much of the blockage. Sophie said: “The wait was unbearable but the procedure was successful. She’s so much better now. She is just so adorable and always up for a cuddle.”

It’s possible for the hemangioma to grow back until it naturally shrinks around around 18 months of age.

On May 8th – exactly a year ago to the day Mia was brought in – dad Jon ran 34 miles from Medway Hospital to Evelina and raised almost £6,000. The care home manager, 34, was joined by Sophie for the first and last five miles – and carried Mia for the final stretch.

Jon said: “The team looking after Mia is outstanding. We will be forever grateful.”

consultant dr Victoria Possamai said: “I am very encouraged to see Mia thriving after her challenging start in life.”

Continue reading

Continue reading

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/birthmark-nearly-killed-little-girl-27090586 "Birthmark nearly killed our little girl when rare growth in throat blocked airway"

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button