Boreham Wood’s FA Cup run ended when Salomon Rondon double sent Everton through

Non-League player Boreham Wood’s FA Cup dream was ended by two goals from Salomon Rondon as the Everton striker secured his side a second consecutive FA Cup finish with an arduous 2-0 win at Goodison Park -Quarterfinal secured.

The first goals conceded by the Vanarama National League side – 77 places behind their top-flight hosts – in the competition were enough to spell their undoing as the visitors’ defense finally threw a narrow shot off the post in the 57th minute of the Venezuelan was breached.

A powerful header, which Taye Ashby-Hammond, who also made a good low save from substitute Richarlison, was unable to prevent, saw them through with six minutes remaining.

Despite Richarlison also ruling out a goal for VAR handball, the Boreham Wood keeper had an easier night than he expected.

Rondon’s rare double, who has made three of 17 appearances since arriving as one of three summer signings in Rafael Benitez’s ill-fated and short-lived reign, crafted a last-eight draw against Crystal Palace.

Everton had funded a special one-off kit for Boreham Wood, who named the same side that beat Bournemouth to avoid a clash, and also paid for the visitors’ travel and accommodation.

But that generosity was extended to the pitch with a terrible first half witnessed for the first time by Everton’s new director of football, Kevin Thelwell.

Ukraine international Vitalii Mykolenko was named Everton captain for the night and before the game there was a poignant show of solidarity with his home country as players and officials held up a banner that read ‘Imagine all the people, sharing all the world’ – a line from John Lennon Imagine what was being played over the floor PA system.

Everton’s left-back was the first to test Ashby-Hammond but the next challenge didn’t come until the 36th minute when Anthony Gordon fired a low, angled shot that ricocheted off awkwardly in front of the goalkeeper, who successfully scraped it away.

The awfulness of the first 45 minutes prompted manager Frank Lampard to make a half-time change and it was the unfortunate Nathan Patterson, who made his debut almost two months after signing from Rangers, that Richarlison had to give way.

Mykolenko was the first to resurface but his run cross was missed by Rondon who should have buried Jonjoe Kenny’s cross but headed.

Jarrad Branthwaite, one of six changes made after last weekend’s defeat to Manchester City, was spared the embarrassment when he passed straight through to Tyrone Marsh and was relieved when the Boreham Wood striker slotted a shot just over the goalkeeper Asmir Begovic shot.

The growing frustration abated as Rondon redeemed his earlier mistakes with a neat goal after tweaking in front of centre-back David Stephens to convert another Kenny cross.

For the second home game in a row, Everton found themselves at the bottom of another controversial VAR handball decision, this time denying them a goal when Richarlison’s close-range shot was clipped after Adrian Clifton’s attempted header equalizer caught the Brazil international.

But Rondon made sure there was no late drama with a header judged over the line before Ashby-Hammond pulled it back. Boreham Wood’s FA Cup run ended when Salomon Rondon double sent Everton through

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button