News

BREAKING Zelensky finally declares ‘Battle for the East’ here as Russia begins attack on Donbas – World News

After days of waiting while Russia was building up its troops and resources near eastern Ukraine, the “Battle for Donbass” has begun today, said Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy

blank
Video is loading

Video not available

Russian forces are preparing to expand control of eastern and southern Ukraine

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Russia had launched its long-awaited attack to take control of the east Ukraine.

He said: “We can now confirm that Russian troops have started the battle for Donbass, which they have been preparing for a long time.

“A large part of the Russian army is now devoted to this offensive.

“No matter how many Russian soldiers are brought here, we will fight. We will defend ourselves.”

His comments came in a video address that followed a spate of reports that Russia was stepping up its attacks.

Zelenskyy’s chief of staff said the attack on Donbass was the “second phase” of the war.







President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy
(

Picture:

SERGEY DOLZHENKO/EPO-EFE/REX/Shutterstock)

Ukraine’s top security official also said that Russian forces tried to break through almost the entire front line in Donetsk, Luhansk and Kharkiv regions.

His comments follow warnings from senior officials in Ukraine and the west that Russia is diverting troops and resources to the east of the country.

First, Russia claimed it was withdrawing troops from parts of northern Ukraine, particularly around the capital Kyiv, as part of ongoing efforts to find a diplomatic solution.

However, it quickly became clear that Putin and the Kremlin were attempting to reorganize their troops and resources after stoic Ukrainian resistance and poor tactics caused their invasion to stall.






(

Picture:

AFP via Getty Images)

This led them to concentrate their troops in eastern Ukraine, where there is strong pro-Russian sentiment.

And fighting there now could look like World War II, Ukraine’s foreign minister warned.

Dmytro Kuleba said NATO allies sent the dire warning in the days before the second wave of attacks began.

After talks with NATO foreign ministers at the alliance’s Brussels headquarters on April 7, he said: “The Battle of Donbass – and I regret to say this, but it is true – will be waged with large populations, maneuvers and involvement in the World War II remembered by thousands of tanks, armored vehicles, airplanes, artillery.”







Russian President Vladimir Putin
(

Picture:

via REUTERS)







Russia’s ongoing invasion of eastern Ukraine
(

Picture:

Pictures of the Press Association)

This comes after Western officials warned that prior to the attack, Putin may have tried to double or even triple the number of Russian forces in the eastern Donbass region.

An official told reporters on April 4: “I imagine by outside estimates you are looking at a force that is probably the Russians trying to use the strength they are bringing to this Donbass area to double or even triple.

“But I do want to note that it’s going to take some time to get them down to that kind of number.”

So far, the conflict has displaced nearly five million Ukrainians and claimed tens of thousands of lives.

We bring you the very latest updates, images and videos on this breaking news.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-zelensky-declares-battle-east-26738615 BREAKING Zelensky finally declares 'Battle for the East' here as Russia begins attack on Donbas - World News

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button