Brendan O’Connor is suing Mediahuis Ireland over alleged data breaches

JOURNALIST Brendan O’Connor takes legal action against Mediahuis Ireland.

The action taken by the RTÉ presenter and Sunday Independent journalist is understood to relate to an alleged serious data breach eight years ago.

Mediahuis Ireland is the publisher of this website and newspapers including the Irish Independent, Sunday Independent and Sunday World. It was formerly known as Independent News & Media (INM).

A number of people have taken legal action over concerns that their privacy and data protection rights were violated during the alleged 2014 “interrogation” of INM backup tapes by an outside company.

The “interrogation” was allegedly conducted at the direction of then-INM chairman Leslie Buckley and was said to have been paid for by a company owned by Denis O’Brien, who was INM’s largest shareholder at the time.

Mediahuis, the Belgian-Dutch group that bought INM in 2019, was keen to solve the cases it sees as legacy.

Around €2 million is believed to have been allocated to settle legal disputes.

In October, the Irish Independent reported that those whose cases appear to have been settled or are nearing a settlement include former INM chief executive Vincent Crowley and former INM journalist Sam Smyth.

Cases handled by PR executives Mark Kenny, Jonathan Neilan, Harriet Mansergh, and Jenny Kilroy also fall into this category.

A number of other lawsuits are believed to have been settled as well.

However, Mr O’Connor’s case was only made public last week, on December 2nd.

Mr O’Connor did not comment when contacted today.

Mediahuis Ireland was also asked to comment.

Mediahuis Ireland is separately suing Mr Buckley for damages for alleged breach of duty and misrepresentation in relation to the data request.

Mr Buckley has denied the allegations and vowed to “defend himself robustly”.

The data tapes are said to have been taken to the premises of another company outside the jurisdiction and interrogated over a period of months.

In a 2019 High Court ruling, Judge Peter Kelly said the operation was allegedly managed by Mr Buckley and paid for by a company owned by Denis O’Brien.

Other members of the INM board allegedly were unaware of the operation at the time, the judge said.

https://www.independent.ie/news/brendan-oconnor-sues-mediahuis-ireland-following-alleged-data-breach-42193166.html Brendan O’Connor is suing Mediahuis Ireland over alleged data breaches

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button