A GROUP of Hanoverians said a proposed “low-traffic neighborhood” for their area was not as green as they were initially told.
And the company behind the designs also runs the city’s parking enforcement agency and “will benefit tremendously from the fines generated by the security cameras in our neighborhood.”
Residents are calling for a pause and a reconsideration of the proposed Low Traffic Neighborhood – or LTN – because they believe the project, which is currently the subject of consultation, is transport-oriented rather than greening the area.
From what was said at public meetings, residents said they understood the project would bring pocket parks and more trees to their streets.
But now a public consultation is underway, neighbors said they were disappointed only two pocket parks had been included in the proposed layout.
There are also concerns that planned road closures and changes to one-way streets would result in increased pollution in the area.
Those residents who use cars and vans for work would have to travel longer distances to leave Hanover – and back again.
At a residents’ meeting on Tuesday (July 26) people said they were not pro-cars because they only use cars for work or long journeys, not for travel within Brighton and Hove.
Their concerns related to the implementation of the low-traffic district, the impact on air quality as people travel longer in and out of the area, and increased traffic at the borders.
Lucy Dunkeyson, who started the Facebook group Improve or Stop the Hanover LTN, has designed an alternative “light touch” program with 18 pocket parks instead of two.
Their proposals would remove road closures but add an electronic speed limiter and signs saying “Welcome to Hanover”. Please drive carefully.” This also includes speed bumps and other traffic calming measures.
She said: “There are some roads that have a problem but the advice implies that all of Hanover has a terrible problem. There’s trouble at Carlton Hill. The Council’s plans will compound these problems.”
Fiona MacDougall, who has one child at Elm Grove Primary School and another at Pepperpot Nursery, is worried people aren’t getting the project they were sold.
She said: “They went to Elm Grove Primary School and got the kids to draw their dream streets. Now they are excluded. We were sold wrong. That will make us go around in circles.”
Her comments were supported by Queen’s Park Road’s Chris Beaumont, who said: “It’s changed from planting trees, including benches, maybe some extensions.
“‘What do you want to see?’ That’s how it started. Now it’s become something completely different.”
Alex Sutton-Vane of Workshops for the Imagination on Islingword Road said he was frustrated that he and other businesses in the area were not directly approached as part of the consultation.
He said: “I’m just amazed that nobody has consulted the shops or companies up there about any of these proposals.
“In terms of deliveries and collections, it would be absolutely devastating for them. Closing the top of Islingword Road and the bottom is just completely insane. There alone, around 85 commercial deliveries are made every day.”
The current proposals in the public consultation envisage a pocket park outside Parade at the top of Islingword Road which will include a busy post office, pharmacy and doctor’s surgery.
Mr Sutton-Vane said the proposed pocket park would result in the loss of a disabled bay and doctor’s car park and cause problems with security trolleys reaching the post office.
Philip Hartstein, an architect living on an Elm Grove street, was concerned about proposals to introduce two-way traffic while one end of his street is closed, causing more pollution.
He was concerned about the design of the project centre, which he said had a framework contract as a regular Council contractor but was not accredited by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA).
He said: “They are part of Marston Holdings Group, the parent company of NSL, which collects our penalty parking fees.
“You will benefit enormously from the fines generated by the surveillance cameras in our neighborhood.
“Project Center has no design credentials and no architects that I can find through my friends at RIBA.”
Improve or Stop the Hanover LTN activists are considering sending a deputation to the council and starting a petition to voice their concerns.
They’re launching a campaign to ensure more people attend the public events to see the proposals.
On Monday, August 16 from 12pm to 3pm and Tuesday, August 30 from 2pm to 5pm, public drop-in sessions will be held at the Phoenix Art Space at Waterloo Place instead of.
Additional drop-in sessions will be on Thursday, August 18 and Wednesday, August 24 from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. and on Saturday, August 27 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m Hanover Community Center on Southover Street.
The online public consultation is open until Sunday 11 September on the Council’s website.
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/20591333.brighton-hove-lower-traffic-neighbourhood-scheme-slated/?ref=rss Brighton and Hove Lower Traffic Neighborhood project planned