A VET has warned of the “huge number” of grass seeds in the city after dogs were injured – one fatally.
dr Nicky Ross said barley seed can hurt pooches by getting in their paws, ears and even lungs.
The warning comes as dogs across Brighton have been injured and one died after inhaling the seed.
dr Ross of New Priory Vets said: “The shape makes them a problem because they look like little arrows.
“We’ve seen a large number of them this year, many more than I previously remembered.”
Grass seed has proven dangerous for dogs this summer as it can get stuck in areas like paws, nose and eyes, causing severe irritation and pain in pets.
dr Ross said she’s been seeing up to two or three grass seeds a day for dogs to remove lately.
Other less common but more serious complications from the seeds include perforated eardrums and difficulty breathing.
dr Ross said the best advice she could give dog owners is to avoid particularly dry fields and to check their pets for signs of pain.
She said those symptoms could be dogs shaking their heads or scratching their paws.
“Just watch your dog. If something is wrong, go to someone.” added Dr. Ross added.
The grass seed problem comes as some dog owners have urged Brighton and Hove City Council to tackle the problem by cutting grass verges and dog parks.
A spokesman for the council said: “Barley grass has long been growing around the edges across the country. It occurs naturally and is something we cannot eliminate.
“The problem of dogs being occasionally injured by barley grass is also popping up across the country.
“To minimize the risk to a dog, owners should be mindful of where their dog is walking.”
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/20740982.brighton-vet-issues-warning-dog-owners-grass-seeds/?ref=rss Brighton vet warns dog owners about grass seed