Entertainment

Bucks Fizz star rushes to hospital after mistaking meningitis symptoms for heat stroke

The 18-year-old daughter of Bucks Fizz singer Jay Aston is still in a specialized kidney unit after being hospitalized last month and has been told she will have permanent scars after being diagnosed with bacterial meningitis

Bucks Fizz star rushes to hospital after mistaking meningitis symptoms for heat stroke

Bucks Fizz star Jay Aston recalled the terrifying moment she realized her teenage daughter was seriously ill with meningitis.

The singer originally thought her daughter’s devastating condition might be heat stroke, but acted quickly when she realized it was something more serious – she took the teenager to the hospital herself when an ambulance didn’t show up.

Josie Aston, 18, is currently in hospital with a critical illness after being rushed to intensive care last month and diagnosed with bacterial meningitis.

Doctors put the teenager in an induced coma after her organs began to fail, and she is still in a specialized kidney unit.

Singer Jay, who has described the ordeal as “absolutely devastating,” was the one to spot a rash on her daughter’s arm.

The one-time Eurovision Song Contest winner initially thought Josie might be suffering from heat stroke, but acted quickly when the teenager developed further symptoms.







Jay Aston recalls the moment she first realized her daughter Josie had meningitis
(

Picture:

handout)







Doctors have told the star how her teenage daughter will have permanent scars
(

Picture:

handout)

“She was laying in the sun so I thought maybe it was heat stroke,” Jay explained as he recalled coming home to find her daughter shaking after she complained about being unwell.

“A few days earlier she had complained of joint pain, which I had put down to growing pains.”

But when Josie developed a headache, neck pain and a temperature that couldn’t come down with acetaminophen, Jay called 111 and an ambulance was ordered.







Josie is still seriously ill in the hospital
(

Picture:

handout)

When the ambulance didn’t show up, Jay became concerned and ended up driving her sick child to the Princess Royal University Hospital in Farnborough, Kent.

“Her temperature was almost 40. I was starting to get really worried. In the middle of the night she said, ‘Mom, I’m not right.’ I saw red dots on her arm.”

It was at this point that Jay realized her only child could have meningitis since her 22-year-old guitarist husband, Dave Colquhoun, Josie’s father, had contracted it 19 years earlier.







Josie should have started a new job and gone on vacation before she got sick
(

Picture:

handout)







The teenager was in a coma for five days
(

Picture:

handout)

Within an hour of arriving at the hospital, Josie was covered in the rash and the next day, as her lungs began to fail, she was rushed to intensive care, where she was placed in an induced coma, given oxygen and antibiotics was treated.

Josie remained in a coma for five days while Jay slept in a chair next to her bed.

She said: “I was ready to pull it off. I held her hand, but one was wrinkled and the other had the rash weeping and blistering. It was terrible.”







Josie in 2011 with parents Dave and Jay
(

Picture:

alpha press)

Doctors pulled Josie out of the coma after five days, but there was no improvement. Jay said: “She didn’t come back for two days. It was the two worst days of my life. There was no answer. I knew it could go either way.

“But I couldn’t allow myself to think that I could lose her.”

Eventually Josie opened her eyes and doctors took her to Kings College Hospital in south London for treatment in the specialist kidney ward.

Jay hopes to be out of hospital later this week but knows there is still a long way to go.

She added: “If she hadn’t been in my bed that night I would have lost her. I hope she makes a full recovery but I’m just glad she’s alive.

“She’s a great kid; she is adorable and funny and i am very lucky and blessed to have her. Whatever happens next, we will take care of it.”

Continue reading

Continue reading

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/bucks-fizz-stars-hospital-dash-26734321 Bucks Fizz star rushes to hospital after mistaking meningitis symptoms for heat stroke

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button