CALL of Duty is one of the mega franchises in gaming with millions of players – and dozens of titles.
The series entries span decades when it comes to storylines and release dates. So what is the true order?
The timelines within the franchise range from World War II to the Vietnam War to fictional conflicts in the distant future.
Any player who wants to play through the entire collection (you will need a lot of free time) has two ways to do it.
You could play the games in the order they were released, or for a truly immersive experience, follow the franchise in chronological order.
We’ve put together a guide below on how to complete the series one way or another.
Publishing order for the Call of Duty franchise
Here are the Call of Duty games in release order, along with their launch dates.
Long story short, we haven’t included the mobile games or various DLC packs (downloadable content) that have come out over the years.
- Call of Duty (2003)
- Call of Duty: Finest Hour (2004)
- Call of Duty 2 (2005)
- Call of Duty 2: Big Red One (2005)
- Call of Duty 3 (2006)
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007)
- Call of Duty: World at War (2008)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II (2012)
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2014)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III (2015)
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (2016)
- Call of Duty: World War II (2017)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (2018)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (2020)
- Call of Duty: Vanguard (2021)
Call of Duty franchise timeline order
You can also play the games in the order they were set.
Many of the games jump around over time, so we took the earliest date that the campaign takes place.
- Call of Duty: WW2 (1940)
- Call of Duty: Finest Hour (1942)
- Call of Duty: World at War (1942)
- Call of Duty 2 (1942)
- Call of Duty (1942)
- Call of Duty 3 (1944)
- Call of Duty: Big Red (1944)
- Call of Duty: Vanguard (1945)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (1961)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (1960s)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (1980s)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (1999)
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2011)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2016)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2016)
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (2017)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (2043)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2054)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (2065)
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (2080)
Best Call of Duty Game Ranking
The Sun spoke to top streamers BennyCentral to find out about the best Call of Duty games.
Here’s his list, from best to worst…
N/A Call of Duty: Finest Hour (2004)– I never played it.
18th Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (2016) – My least favorite Call of Duty, had a cool campaign and that’s about it.
17th Call of Duty 2: Big Red One (2005)
16th Call of Duty: World War II (2017) – Going back to WWII never really worked for me.
fifteenth Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2014) – Like Marmite, I personally didn’t like this as I didn’t like the jetpack gameplay.
14th Call of Duty 3 (2006) – Multiplayer for the first time! There’s a reason it got remastered – BOG was a great card too!
13. – Call of Duty (2003) – Was just a campaign but my introduction to the Call of Duty franchise and loved completing it as a veteran.
12. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (2020) – First integration game in Warzone, but for me it wasn’t my favorite Call of Duty.
11. Call of Duty: Vanguard (2021) – Going back to the Modern Warfare engine, the multiplayer was really enjoyable again, although I’m still sticking with Warzone.
10th Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013) – An underrated Call of Duty for me, but a personal favorite because I enjoyed playing competitively so much.
9th Call of Duty: World at War (2008) – I still remember playing World at War constantly just to play with the tanks, even though the dog Killstreak really took over! Plus, who can forget the Castle map.
8thth Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010) – Fast-paced matches at the shooting range with an MP5 was one of my favorite times in Call of Duty – plus one of the greatest campaigns in Call of Duty.
7th Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (2018) – Added self-healing which really changed the pace!
6th Call of Duty: Black Ops III (2015) – Added Specialists who really messed up the matchups – plus Wallrunning! I’ve had some great times playing custom minigames with my friends.
5th Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) – The Modern Warfare games have always been among my favorites, and MW2 brought the tactical nuke to the series for the first time, which was an unforgettable experience.
4th Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007) – A classic – the game that made Call of Duty famous around the world. Great story and multiplayer.
3approx – Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) – Modern Warfare really kickstarted the franchise for me, especially with the launch of Warzone – had a great feeling with the new engine.
2nd Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011) – A part of the golden era of Call of Duty, offering a new unique multiplayer experience with Specialist, which allows you to take full advantage of the game, including the MOAB
1St – Call of Duty: Black Ops II (2012) -My absolute favorite Call of Duty had it all. One of the greatest multiplayer experiences: Killstreaks were amazing, Loadstar, Vtol, Swarm & Dogs.
Call of Duty: 2022 – what to expect
Call of Duty creators are working on a “new Warzone experience” for 2022.
The shock revelation was buried under a blog post about “future plans.”
The game makers have detailed the upcoming changes to Warzone and even mentioned the next installment of Call of Duty.
This is the sequel to the 2019 Modern Warfare title being developed by Infinity Ward.
But it also said that Warzone would get an overhaul.
This includes an all-new map for the popular Battle Royale mode.
“This year’s Call of Duty is a sequel to Modern Warfare 2019,” according to the game makers.
“The new game and a new Warzone experience are being developed together from the ground up.
“Expect a massive evolution of battle royale with an all new play area and sandbox mode.”
Activision confirmed that there will be a new Warzone map as well as an additional sandbox mode.
This could potentially allow players to create their own versions of Warzone – with custom settings and more.
The creators of Call of Duty also confirmed that a new engine would power the new game release as well as Warzone.
And that both the new Call of Duty and the revamped Warzone will be developed by Infinity Ward.
- Read the latest stories for PS5
- Stay up to date with all Xbox news
- Read the latest gaming news
All the latest gaming tips and tricks
Looking for tips and tricks for your favorite consoles and games? We’ve got you covered…
In other news, The Sun’s most popular alternative to a gaming console is the Oculus Quest 2 VR headset.
Check out the insanely impressive Panasonic 65HZ1000 TV that makes most TVs look trash.
And Dell’s Alienware R10 Ryzen Edition is a gaming PC powerhouse that crushes both new consoles.
Which CoD is your favorite? Let us know in the comments!
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science Team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
https://www.thesun.ie/tech/7046232/call-of-duty-games-in-order-release-date-timeline/ By release date and schedule