Sean McVay was positioned in a scenario he’s by no means been in earlier than with the Los Angeles Rams following Sunday’s recreation: Experiencing his first loss — and in one-sided vogue — to the Arizona Cardinals.
Eight straight wins towards their division rival? Gone.
The NFL energy rating reward that positioned them at No. 1 general? Edited for this week with a brand new No. 1 and high 5 by the retailers that do rankings.
And the early Tremendous Bowl hype through the quick three-game begin? Referred to as to a stop courtesy of the Playing cards.
McVay once more has by no means tasted defeat from the NFL model of the “crimson sea.” And he took the blame for the 37-20 loss.
“I’ve obtained to be means higher for our soccer staff,” McVay informed the L.A. media. “Make no excuses about it. I didn’t do a adequate job to get our guys able to go. However luckily for us, we’ve obtained an opportunity on a brief week to have the ability to reply the way in which that we count on to, the way in which that we wish to. And that’s precisely what we’re going to do transferring ahead.”
Talking of transferring ahead, previous historical past says McVay and the Rams understand how to do this collectively following taking the primary “L” within the loss column. Right here’s a dive into that.
McVay & the Rams within the Sport After a Loss
Good news for Ram followers: When McVay and the Rams take a punch, they counterpunch.
The Rams are 3-1 in video games after absorbing the primary defeat. Right here’s the way it unfolded:
- 2017: After dropping to McVay’s earlier NFL employer Washington 27-20 in week 2, the Rams bounced again 4 days in a while Thursday Evening Soccer with one of many extra exhilarating video games of that season — a 41-39 shootout win over the San Francisco 49ers the place ex-Ram Jared Goff threw three landing passes and Todd Gurley and Sammy Watkins scored twice apiece.
- 2018: As soon as the New Orleans Saints ended the Rams’ 8-0 begin with a 45-35 win on the Superdome on November 4, L.A. and McVay responded with one other high-scoring affair with the Seattle Seahawks the next week, but one that ended 36-31 in favor of L.A.
- 2019: This time, Seattle reversed the end result of this example on a Thursday evening. After the Rams took a surprising 55-40 home loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers that noticed ex-Bucs QB Jameis Winston throw 4 TD passes, Seattle handed L.A. its second straight defeat by edging the Rams 30-29 with Russell Wilson hitting Chris Carson for the ultimate TD (a 5-yard connection) with 2:28 left.
- 2020: The Rams prevented back-to-back defeats particularly towards Empire State groups. After dropping to Buffalo 35-32 to end their 2-0 start, the Rams defeated the New York Giants 17-9. In fact, viewers in all probability bear in mind what occurred between Jalen Ramsey and Golden Tate after the sport.
The Rams have proven they’re fast to answer the “L.” They usually’re 1-1 on TNF after taking their first defeat. However that’s not all.
The Rams’ Total File After Loss No. 1
Whereas the Rams have received three of 4 video games following their first defeat, they’ve been equally efficiently responsive after getting again into the win column. Right here’s a glance:
- After the primary lack of the McVay period in 2017, the Rams went 10-5 overall the remainder of the way in which which included successful the NFC West title.
- Following the Saints loss, the Rams received their subsequent three video games and went 7-3 the rest of the way — which incorporates securing the NFC title.
- L.A. went .500 after sustaining its first lack of the 2019 season, going 6-6. The Bucs recreation additionally began a three-game dropping streak, the longest of the McVay period.
- Final season, the Rams went 9-6 after enduring loss No. 1.
Lengthy story brief, the Rams are 32-20 below McVay after tasting their first defeat.
McVay has proven to bounce again along with his staff. He’s optimistic they’ll reply rapidly to this 17-point embarrassment briefly timing.
“Our guys are wired the appropriate means,” McVay stated. “And people alternatives to have the ability to present your psychological toughness, the resilience that I do know exists in that locker room. And we’re going to get ourselves up, able to roll, and be able to compete on Thursday.”
https://heavy.com/sports activities/los-angeles-rams/sean-mcvay-after-losses/ | Can Sean McVay & the Rams Get better? Previous Historical past Says This