Ukraine’s Security Service announced that Chechen troops have returned to Grozny, the capital of Chechnya, after suffering heavy losses during the Ukrainian conflict.
Video not available
Ukrainian military intelligence claims the fearsome Chechen warplanes have been removed from the war zone after the loss of hundreds of troops.
The Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) said the army, also known as Kadyrovites, returned to Grozny, the capital of Chechnya.
The organization claimed that the soldiers were withdrawn after suffering a large number of deaths in the first three weeks of the war.
Reports of Chechen troops participating in the Russian invasion of Ukraine date back to the very first days of the Russian invasion on 24 February.
On February 26, a video began to go viral of Chechen servicemen flying the Russian flag over a military unit’s building in Gostomel, a village 50 kilometers northwest of the Ukrainian capital.
Yelena Afonina / TASS)
The Ukrainian Armed Forces authenticated the video, but denied claims in it that they had resisted three Ukrainian advances – saying the area was invaded at the time for nothing.
A day later, three days after the invasion began, the commander of the 141st Mechanized Regiment of the Chechnya Rosguard, General Magomed Tushayev, died.
During landing attempts at Gostomel airport between February 26 and 28, “several hundred” Chechen fighters were killed, SBU intelligence officers said.
A large column that appears to be Kadyrovites fighters and military machinery was later filmed in Bucha, north of Kyiv.
Yelena Afonina / TASS)
Video then emerged of air strikes being carried out on it and the wreckage of numerous military vehicles.
Ramzan Kadyrov, President of Chechnya, initially denied casualties among his fighters, but on February 28 he acknowledged the deaths of two Chechen servicemen, without naming them.
“Unfortunately, there have been casualties among the natives of the Republic of Chechnya. Two people died and six others were injured,” he wrote on Telegram.
Claims from both sides regarding the lives lost and the military’s current location are difficult to verify, given the disputed area in which the Chechens are operating.
According to the SBU counterintelligence service, on March 13, the Kadyrovites were evacuated from the territory of the Kyiv region through Belarus and further by air to Chechnya.
At the same time, Kadyrov announced that he would send another thousand of his fighters to Ukraine.
Footage that has emerged over the past few days suggests that at least some Chechen fighters were still involved in the invasion.
On Tuesday, Kadyrov announced that his fighters were leading the assault on the city of Mariupol, which had entered Ukraine from the east.
He released a video showing several soldiers firing into the upper floors of a building that had been hit by an air strike, before they showed up to help people evacuate.
The Ukrainian military has taken action to mock the Chechens, who come from a predominantly Muslim part of Russia.
Ukraine’s National Guard has posted a video showing fighters from the Azov Battalion, some of whom have been accused by the United Nations of war crimes in 2016, oiling lard. and warn them to go home.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/chechen-forces-head-home-after-26511971 Chechen forces 'go home after losing hundreds of fighters in invasion of Ukraine' - World News