News

Child who suffered burns and blisters as a baby before having a heel prick settles action in the High Court for €70,000

blank

A child who suffered burns and blisters as a newborn when she was due to have a heel prick test has settled a case in the High Court for €70,000.

de Cotter, 2, suffered the injury at Cork University Maternity Hospital (CUMH) when a glove filled with warm water was placed on his left foot to encourage circulation, his lawyer Doireann O’Mahony said.

“It caused burns, blisters, redness and pain,” the attorney said.

She said the hospital apologized to the little boy’s mother Abby Cotter after the incident.

Liability was recognized in the case.

The lawyer said the baby had to be hospitalized and bandaged for several days after the incident.

A plastic surgeon who examined the toddler’s left foot earlier this year said the scars weren’t particularly noticeable, the attorney added.

Ren, from Blarney Street, Cork City, through his mother, had sued the HSE for the care he was given at CUMH.

He was born in hospital on May 22, 2020, but as part of general postnatal testing, a warm glove was placed on his left foot to stimulate blood flow.

Donning the glove reportedly caused severe blistering, redness, and burning on his lower left leg and foot.

It was claimed that the postnatal testing was totally substandard and the glove was either too hot or too long on the baby’s skin.

He was held in the hospital until May 31, 2020.

It was claimed that substandard postnatal testing had been carried out and little to no information was given to the baby’s mother about the nature of the injury while she was in hospital and in a distressed state.

The little boy has altered pigmentation on his left calf and above his knee area.

The attorney told the court that a separate lawsuit alleging Abby Cotter’s nervous shock had been settled and could be dismissed. The terms of this agreement are confidential.

Mr Judge Paul Coffey said he was satisfied that Ren’s settlement was fair and reasonable and he agreed with it.

https://www.independent.ie/news/child-who-as-a-baby-suffered-burns-and-blistering-before-a-heel-prick-test-settles-high-court-action-for-70000-41666527.html Child who suffered burns and blisters as a baby before having a heel prick settles action in the High Court for €70,000

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button