Coda is sad for the monster lovers who escaped through the outback

MELBOURNE, Australia – It’s been a journey that seems to have ended from the very beginning: A couple who live in 10th place, one takes the other out of residential healthcare in a pickup truck The white Mazda, the breadth of the treacherous Australians was laid out before them.

Just before New Year’s Day, 80-year-old Ralph “Terry” Gibbs left Queensland, northeast Australia, to reunite with his partner of 15 years, Carol Lisle, 84, in Western Australia. Mrs. Lisle, who suffers from Parkinson’s disease and dementia, has been moved there by her goddaughter to a care home. Mr. Gibbs, guided by a paper map, was determined to drive her 3,000 miles back to his home.

The hybrid pair caught the attention of Australia when a national sweep was conducted. Two days after the abduction, the pair were found by police officers on patrol in a remote Aboriginal community near the border with the Northern Territory, both in poor health.

Now, almost two months later, the story has come to an even sadder end: Miss Lisle and Mr Gibbs died within days of each other this week, a friend of Ms. Lisle’s told Australia’s national broadcaster.

Ms. Lisle died in her sleep on Monday. Two days later, Mr Gibbs was killed in Queensland in a head-on collision between his pickup truck and another vehicle.

Their love story began in March, when her goddaughter Lisle moved her to a care home near Mandurah in Western Australia over concerns that Mr Gibbs, who had been in hospital, was unable to give her the care she neededshe told The Australian, a national newspaper.

In the months that followed, the pair were only able to see each other four times, Mr Gibbs later told reporters, because of Western Australia’s strict coronavirus restrictions, which closed the state to the rest of the land. water for many months. .

“Every day, she says, ‘Please get me out of here, please get me out of here,’ and when I leave to go home, she’ll say, ‘Can I come with you? ?'” Mr Gibbs told The Guardian last week. “She even wanted to walk to the airport.”

Mr Gibbs, whose truck was filled with diesel fuel and water, fled with Ms Lisle on January 2.

After more than 24 hours on the road with temperatures sometimes exceeding 105 degrees Fahrenheit, they were caught. A police spokesman said both were dehydrated. Ms Lisle, who is in a wheelchair, was said to be in great distress, smelled of urine and was wearing the same outfit as her when Mr Gibbs took her from the care home.

“The area where they were found is extremely remote,” Senior Detective James Stewart said at a press conference last month. “What they’re doing is extremely risky,” he added. Both are very weak, have poor mobility and they do not have enough water and supplies to make such a journey. But thankfully they were found and are fine. ”

Last week, Mr Gibbs pleaded guilty to unlawful detention of a mentally ill person. He was given a seven-month suspended prison sentence and a two-year ban banning him from visiting his partner.

Speaking to reporters outside court, Mr Gibbs said he was worried he and Lisle would not be reunited. He said: “I was afraid that I might never see my little daughter again. “She’s fading fast.”

Judge Raelene Johnston admitted that Mr Gibbs ran off with his partner out of a desire to be with her.

“Ending your life together with Miss Lisle must be heartbreaking, given the bond you have with your partner,” she said. “I accept your motives as love and affection. I don’t doubt that.” Coda is sad for the monster lovers who escaped through the outback

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button