McGregor has been looking for an instant shot at an unprecedented third UFC world title, but after losing his last two he may need a comeback win before he gets a fight with Kamaru Usman
Video not available
Conor McGregor has been told that on his return to the octagon he only needs to win one fight to secure the welterweight title.
The Irishman is fishing an instant shot at Kamaru Usman’s 170-pound beltwhat would be an unprecedented third division for him to contend for gold after winning the featherweight and lightweight belts in 2015 and 2016. But Usman is less interested and has already signed Leon Edwards as his next opponent.
Instead, the champion’s manager Ali Abdelaziz has proposed a four-man tournament between Usman, Edwards, McGregor and Nate Diaz to decide the fate of the division. Abdelaziz, who is also in charge of McGregor’s closest rival Khabib Nurmagomedov, believes it would be enough to give the Irishman a third-belt shot.
“Kamaru Usman vs. Leon Edwards and Conor vs. Nate, this is a 4 man tournament,” Abdelaziz tweeted in response to a recent Usman interview with TMZ. “If this little Irish b**** wins, next thing he gets is his title shot.”
Abdelaziz’s proposal is likely to be controversial among fans and fighters alike given McGregor and Diaz’s recent records. The Irishman has lost his last two bouts at bottomweight and is only 2-1 at welterweight. Meanwhile, Diaz has lost three of his last four and is unranked.
McGregor is the No. 9 contender at lightweight but is also unranked at welterweight. His most recent win came at 170 pounds when he defeated Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone within seconds at UFC 246 in January 2020 Coronavirus Restrictions cost him his “comeback season” planned for 2020.
Would you be frustrated if Conor McGregor fought Nate Diaz as the #1 contender for the UFC welterweight title? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section under!
Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)
However, he is undoubtedly the biggest star in the sport and has been a world champion at two different weights and has KO finishes at all three weights he has competed at. Promotion boss Dana White has allayed fans’ concerns about McGregor getting a shot to the belt, while the Irishman said he has nothing to fear from Usman.
McGregor returned to sparring against pal Cian Cowley on Wednesday and will return to MMA for the next few weeks. Last week, he said mirror fight he would “go right back into training.” “I’m looking forward to getting back into the octagon,” he said. “We’ll see what happens, the leg is getting better every day. I think 170 is my goal, I feel good at that weight.”
“I feel confident against Usman” he told TheMacLife last month. “A jab-happy, sloppy, orthodox wrestler with no submission whatsoever – what’s he going to do? Where’s the danger here? I see no danger – no one has ever won three titles in three divisions like I will if we make it through this fight.”
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/mma/conor-mcgregor-next-ufc-fight-26729466 Conor McGregor offered a potential path to a title shot via a four-man UFC tournament