Council tax refund warning as some Brits won’t get £150 for another SIX MONTHS

If you’re in a Group E, F, G and H council tax property (or I in Wales for that matter) you’re not eligible for the £150 relief – instead you’ll need to apply for cash through the £144m discretionary fund

Video is loading

Video not available

Martin Lewis explains how the council tax refund works in March

Millions of households may have to wait until November to claim cash through the council’s £150 tax refund scheme.

The one-time payment is automatically assigned to apartments in municipal tax classes A, B, C or D.

If you are in a council tax estate at levels E, F, G and H (or even I in Wales) you are not entitled to the payment.

Instead, households struggling to afford their bills are being urged to apply for support from a £144million discretionary fund.

This is distributed to local authorities across England for vulnerable, low-income people who do not pay council tax or pay council tax on properties in bands E to H.

Here we explain how discretionary financing works.

Council tax rebates of £150 are issued by councils


Maureen McLean/REX/Shutterstock)

However, some people may have to wait a long time to receive cash as local authorities have until November 30, 2022 to make payments through this system.

By comparison, local authorities have until 30 September 2022 to make the £150 main payment for automatically eligible homes.

Still waiting for your £150 tax refund? Let us know:

The exact eligibility criteria for voluntary funding are set by each council.

This means you need to contract with your local authority or check their website to see if you are eligible for assistance.

Some households may have to wait until November for a tax refund


(Getty Images/iStockphoto)

For example, Arun County Council has received funding of £373,350, meaning it can supply 2,489 homes with a payment of £150.

The municipality has divided its funding into two groups.

The first group is for households in a Class E to H household who receive a council tax credit, disability allowance, carer’s allowance, or who are exempt from paying council tax because of a severe intellectual disability, or who live in a student-only household.

The second group is ‘extraordinary circumstances’ where you have high energy use and are either on benefits, on a war pension, caring for someone in your household or have high energy use for medical reasons.

Cotswold Borough Council is also issuing £150 in payments through the discretionary fund.

This applies under certain circumstances to persons in households of groups E to H, e.g. B. if there is a council tax credit or if you are a carer or live with someone who has been identified as having a severe intellectual disability.

But not all councils have yet decided who will spend the funds.

Lambeth Council’s website states: “Details of the discretionary fund and who is eligible to apply will be posted here as soon as they become available.”

We have more information on how to reduce your council tax here, including ways to reduce your bill by 100%.

Continue reading

Continue reading Council tax refund warning as some Brits won't get £150 for another SIX MONTHS

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button