Lifestyle

Couple tells ‘honeymoon from hell’ while ‘terrible’ journey ends in ‘disaster’

A COUPLE claim they endured a nightmare holiday after a fire damaged their home during their honeymoon.

Clare Carr and her husband Andrew were enjoying their romantic getaway to Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands when the fire broke out.

Clare and Andrew blasted Jet2 vacation after honeymoon ended in'disaster'

4

Clare and Andrew blasted Jet2 vacation after honeymoon ended in ‘disaster’Credit: NCJMedia
Pictures show the damage to her home after it burst into flames

4

Pictures show the damage to her home after it burst into flamesCredit: NCJMedia

But to their amazement, they claim they were left out of the water when trip organizers Jet2 refused to take responsibility for the newlyweds’ ruined trip.

This included apparently ignoring requests to send a current fire certificate to ensure the home’s safety.

Clare, who planned the 19-day trip to recover from brain cancer treatment, has since blasted the company after claiming the fire caused her health problems.

The holidaymaker, from Forest Hall, Newcastle, first noticed something was wrong after Andrew went into business.

“The lights started flickering and then there was a powerful bang and I could see the fuse box behind the front door was on fire and fuses in it blew,” she said ChronicleLive.

“I couldn’t use the door because of the fuse box, so I ran onto the balcony and yelled for help before calling Andrew. Two guests downstairs heard my screams and ran to ask the front desk to call emergency services.

“I couldn’t get out the door and the apartment was on the second floor so I couldn’t jump down.

“It was awful for Andrew because he could see the state I was in and couldn’t do anything to help me until he got the idea to get on a chair and have a barman on his shoulders climbed onto my balcony and grabbed a towel and ran out of the apartment past the burning fuse box.”

The couple were quickly moved to alternative accommodation but were “startled” to discover their new room had no smoke detectors.

“It totally freaked us out after what I just went through,” Clare added.

“So we spent the night fearing the same thing might happen again, coughing from the smoke inhalation.”

Clare was taken for a medical the next day and was told she was suffering from bronchitis.

She has been prescribed two batches of medication and separate inhalers – forcing the couple to travel to and from a local Covid center for most of their holiday.

‘HONEYMOON FROM HELL’

Now the couple want to be compensated for their £1770 package deal with Jet2 – explaining that it “wasn’t us who booked or paid for it”.

Clare told ChronicleLive: “This should be a break for us after the terrible time we’ve had. Instead, it was a complete disaster.

“We lost many days dealing with the fire, cleaning all our belongings, washing our clothes and going to the medical center.

“I’m very weak from cancer treatment and I have bronchitis, so my husband had to do everything, so it wasn’t a break for him.

“Three months later I am very traumatized by the whole incident. It has affected my sleep and I need to make sure I’m at a door so I can escape if necessary.”

Despite asking the company for a refund, Jet 2 only offered the beleaguered couple a £300 voucher – something Clare described as “difficult”.

In a statement, a Jet2 spokesman said: “We are sorry to hear of Mr and Mrs Carr’s experience and we apologize for the upset caused.

“Our teams did everything they could to assist Mr and Mrs Carr after the fuse box tripped causing a small fire that was confined to the fuse box and was producing smoke.

“This included helping them move, arranging medical help, cleaning their clothes and conducting regular social checks.

“The health and safety of our customers will always be our top priority and after a thorough investigation we can confirm that the hotel meets local health and safety requirements.

“In light of this experience, we have made a gesture of goodwill to Mr. and Mrs. Carr.”

The couple are now demanding a full refund from the holiday company following the'Hell Journey'.

4

The couple are now demanding a full refund from the holiday company following the ‘Hell Journey’.Credit: NCJMedia
Clare, who is recovering from cancer treatment, says she was traumatized by the incident

4

Clare, who is recovering from cancer treatment, says she was traumatized by the incidentCredit: NCJMedia

https://www.thesun.ie/travel/8612690/couple-honeymoon-hell-jet2-holiday-disaster/ Couple tells ‘honeymoon from hell’ while ‘terrible’ journey ends in ‘disaster’

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button