A MAN found guilty of raping a girl when she was “five or six years old” has again postponed his sentencing date.
A jury previously found Roger Robinson, 69, of Beachy Road, Crawley, guilty of 14 counts of rape and four counts of indecent assault.
One of the rape allegations involved Robinson, who invited two other men to have sex with the girl.
The jury returned a verdict of not guilty in a count of rape.
Robinson was due to be tried at Hove Crown Court at the end of May, but the case was adjourned until June 27 due to the judge’s absence.
It was again pushed back to July 5, but the hearing is now adjourned to September 5.
The defendant, who had denied the allegations, shook his head and showed no emotion when the jury foreman announced the verdicts after a three-week trial at Hove Crown Court on April 6.
The jury heard the abuse had taken place over a 17-year period.
Judge Shani Barnes told the jury she heard a “very complex” case for a number of reasons, not least the historical nature of the offences.
The jury was previously sent home after returning no verdict after 10 hours of deliberation on April 5.
In his summary, prosecutor Rowan Jenkins had described Robinson’s actions as “depraved” and said the girl was now “damaged”. He said the abuse was “physically painful and emotionally painful.”
Defense attorney Nicholas Hamblin had told the jury the allegations were “fantasy” and that it was “word against the other” after the accused and victim addressed the court.
Hove Crown Court confirmed that Robinson’s sentencing had been postponed due to “various availabilities of parties”.
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/20594919.crawley-man-guilty-raping-girl-sentencing-date-moved/?ref=rss Crawley man guilty of raping girl has delayed sentencing