Erik ten Hag said it was “unacceptable” for Manchester United players to leave a game early after Cristiano Ronaldo was eliminated in last weekend’s friendly against Rayo Vallecano.
Ronaldo and Diogo Dalot were among those who left Old Trafford prematurely before ending the 1-1 draw in United’s last game in pre-season.
Ronaldo was substituted at half-time, while Dalot did not play against Rayo following a 1-0 defeat by Atletico Madrid the day before.
In an interview with Dutch broadcaster Viaplay, Ten Hag has insisted United players should stay until the games are over.
“I certainly don’t condone that,” he said when asked about players leaving early. “This is unacceptable for everyone. We are a team and you have to stay until the end.”
The draw against Rayo was Ronaldo’s first pre-season appearance since telling United he wants to leave the club and play in the Champions League this season.
The 37-year-old was placed on family leave early last month and was not traveling on the club’s pre-season tour of Australia and Thailand.
Despite his status as a five-time Ballon d’Or winner, no firm offers have been made for Ronaldo and he is likely to start the new Premier League season at Old Trafford.
Ten Hag’s first competitive game in charge of United comes against Brighton and Hove Albion on Sunday, with Ronaldo unlikely to start after his limited minutes last season.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/cristiano-ronaldo-manchester-united-news-b2137225.html Cristiano Ronaldo: Erik ten Hag says it’s ‘unacceptable’ for a Manchester United player to leave early