Tyson Fury says his planned heavyweight showdown with Anthony Joshua is over after his self-imposed deadline expired.
Fury issued an ultimatum to Joshua’s camp on Friday night, insisting he would leave the all-British blockbuster fight if the deal could not be finalized in time.
On Monday night, the WBC champion said on Instagram: “Well folks it’s official. D-Day has come and gone. It’s past five o’clock Monday. No contract was signed.
“It’s officially over for Joshua. He’s out in the cold now with the wolf pack.
“Forget it. Fool. Coward. S***house. Bodybuilder. Always knew. I always knew you didn’t have the minerals to fight the Gypsy King.
“No matter what the hell you say now, I really don’t care. Good luck with your career and your life. End of. Relax.”
Promoter Eddie Hearn had previously said there was “no chance” of contracts being signed by Monday, while Joshua insisted on Sunday the negotiations were thanks to his lawyers.
In an Instagram Live, Joshua said: “It’s not in my hands – it’s in the hands of a legal team. That’s why you hire lawyers.
“You know the history of boxing – make sure your legal terms are right. In return you get good management and good lawyers.
“Of course I will sign the contract – just with a couple of lawyers at the moment.”
Television executives from BT Sport and streaming service DAZN were due to meet on Monday, with Joshua’s team having already verbally accepted Fury’s offer of a 60-40 split of the purse.
Joshua suffered a second straight loss to Oleksandr Usyk in Saudi Arabia last month and Fury’s hopes of a match against the Ukrainian were dashed after he indicated he has no intention of returning to the ring until 2023.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/boxing/tyson-fury-anthony-joshua-heavyweight-fight-eddie-hearn-b2175687.html ‘D-Day has come and gone’: Tyson Fury says proposed fight against Anthony Joshua is over