Dad blinded after falling eyes-first on branch in freak hiking accident – World News
The father and son were on a pleasure trip to British Columbia when one fell and impaled his eye on a branch, with a fundraising offer for his care now reaching £13,700
A father was permanently blinded in one eye after a freak accident while hiking with his son in Canada.
Ed Steinkamp, 67, of Texas, and his 28-year-old son Bret were setting out to hike trails in British Columbia, but he slipped and impaled his eye on a branch.
According to MailOnline, on the third day of their trip, as the pair climbed the West Coast Trail, Mr Steinkamp walked over a fallen branch instead of stepping through the mud.
He lost his footing, slipped, and landed on a branch that went through his left eye and into his brain.
Mr. Steinkamp, of Allen, Texas, is reportedly being treated at Victoria General Hospital in British Columbia after “what began as a beautiful experience with breathtaking views suddenly became tragic a few days later,” according to a GoFundMe campaign to raise money for to collect his medical expenses.
Mr Steinkamp and his son Bret passed away on 30th April.
The campaign, which has reportedly raised $17,000 (£13,700) of its $200,000 goal as of yesterday (Thursday), said: “He ended up with a stick that pierced his brain through his eye,” noting that Pacheedahl First National Guardians had to fly him to the local hospital.
“It took them six hours and a refueling by the National Guard before they could get him,” the campaign added.
Mr. Steinkamp’s wife, Wendy, flew out of Texas to meet and be by his side. Gamily friend Susan Lowe said it was unclear how long he would be in hospital but said the cost of his medical care would be high on top of the expenses.
She said: “Ed won’t be able to fly for months so now they have to hire a vehicle and drive him across the country to get home when he’s finally released, which means the cost of the car and gas and another week is the hotel bills can be enormous.”
She hoped the fundraiser would help ease some of her bills, saying in part so her friend could focus on getting well.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/dad-blinded-after-falling-eye-27015171 Dad blinded after falling eyes-first on branch in freak hiking accident - World News