OVER a dozen dangerous apps have been detected in the Google Play Store.
These “hacked” apps pretend to be real tools – but stealthily infect your Android device.
The apps offer handy features like new emojis, wallpapers, and photo filters.
But actually they are adware: apps designed to flood your phone with advertisements.
This brings crooks quick money.
Also, it slows down your handset, decreases battery life and generally makes your phone much worse.
Worrying, cyber experts at Bitdefender Let’s say the rogue apps have been installed over 2 million times.
What makes them particularly nefarious is that the apps hide on your device.
They swap their icon for a gear and then rename it Settings to avoid being deleted by the user.
And when the app is launched, it’s completely minimized and invisible – before the actual Settings app loads.
This misleads the user into thinking that they have launched the genuine settings app.
The apps don’t even show up in the Recent list, making them difficult to track down.
You’ll need to navigate to your full app list and delete them manually.
Here is the list of rogue apps:
- Walls Light – Wallpaper Pack (gb.packlivewalls.fournatewren)
- Big Emoji – Keyboard 5.0 (gb.blindthirty.funkyfour)
- Grand Wallpapers – 3D Backgrounds 2.0 (gb.convenientsoftfiftyreal.threeborder)
- Engine Wallpapers (gb.helectronsoftforty.comlivefour)
- Wallpapers (gb.fiftysubstantiated.wallsfour)
- EffectMania – Photo Editor 2.0 (gb.actualfifty.sevenelegantvideo)
- Art Filters – Deep Photoeffect 2.0 (gb.crediblefifty.editconvincingeight)
- Fast Emoji Keyboard APK (eightylamocenko.editioneights)
- Create stickers for whatsapp 2.0 (gb.convincingmomentumeightyverified.realgamequicksix)
- Math Solver – Camera Helper 2.0 (gb.labcamerathirty.mathcamera)
- Photopix Effects – Art Filter 2.0 (gb.mega.sixtyeffectcameravideo)
- Led Theme – Colorful Keyboard 2.0 (gb.theme.twentythreetheme)
- Animated Sticker Master 1.0 (am.asm.master)
- Sleep Sounds 1.0 (com.voice.sleep.sounds)
- Personality Charging Show 1.0 (com.charging.show)
- Image warp camera
- GPS location finder (smart.ggps.lockakt)
Some of these apps are still available for download from the Google Play Store.
But even if they have been removed from the official app store, they might still be lurking on your device.
If you recognize any of these app names, you should try to delete them as soon as possible.
The best tips and hacks for phones and gadgets
Looking for tips and hacks for your phone? Want to find these secret features in social media apps? We’ve got you covered…
Get the latest news about WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook and other tech gadgets here.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science Team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
https://www.thesun.ie/tech/9276932/delete-android-apps-warning-adware-spam/ Delete These 17 Apps NOW – Millions of Android Users Warned About “Virus Attack”