Does my caravan need a TÜV?

CARAVAN holidays are very popular with families who want to travel to new places without breaking the bank every time.

But what are the regulations when it comes to driving a caravan on the road? We know this.

Caravans do not require MOT, but it is recommended that yours be serviced every 12 months


Caravans do not require MOT, but it is recommended that yours be serviced every 12 months

Does my caravan need a TÜV?

Caravans don’t need a TÜV – but you have to check them for roadworthiness.

If a car is more than three years old, it must undergo a TÜV inspection every year to confirm that it is road legal.

Motorists also have their cars serviced, which is a more in-depth mechanical assessment of the vehicle.

The same is not required for a caravan, but maintenance is recommended.

The government website states that it is important that you complete the following safety checks before towing your van:

  • Make sure the caravan is properly hitched to the towbar or pin
  • raise and lower to ensure it is locked
  • Attach the breakaway cable and make sure it is secure and not worn or damaged
  • Check if the power cord is damaged and plug it in to make sure it’s safe
  • Lift and lock the jockey wheel to prevent it from falling
  • Release the trailer handbrake and check that the brake lights and turn signals are on
  • Check that the tires are safe and legal

Do I have to register a caravan with the DVLA?

Motorized vehicles such as cars and vans are required by law to be registered with the DVLA.

However, this legal obligation does not apply to caravans.

While this means you don’t have to worry about DVLA paperwork, it introduces other issues that may affect the future safety of your caravan.

Do I have to service my caravan?

Caravan maintenance is essential to ensure its safety on the road.

It is recommended to do this every 12 months or 10,000 miles.

A service generally includes the use of specialized equipment to check for moisture, as well as checking ventilation.

The gas, electrical and water systems are checked, as are the running gear, running gear and brake components.

Do I need insurance to tow a caravan?

According to the AA websiteCaravans do not have to be insured, but it is recommended in the event of an accident.

There are three types of caravan insurance:

  • Touring or touring caravan insuranceThis applies to caravans that are towed behind a vehicle.
  • Static caravan insuranceThis applies to caravans at fixed locations, e.g. B. holiday parks or seaside resorts. If you are moving your stationary caravan to a new location, check that the movers have transport insurance to protect it in the event of damage, accident or theft.
  • Insurance for tent trailers and folding caravansContents stored in trailer tents and foldable caravans are less secure than traditional caravans and can therefore be more difficult to insure. Does my caravan need a TÜV?

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button