ELON Musk has praised Netflix for cracking down on bright employees who refuse to work on shows they find offensive.
Last week, the US streaming titan told its employees that they can leave the company if they don’t agree with the content they’re working on.
In response to a tweet about the new policy, Musk tweeted Sunday, “Nice move by @netflix.”
It comes a month after the Tesla boss berated Netflix for having a “wake mind virus” that makes it “unwatchable.”
For the first time in five years, Netflix recently updated its corporate culture guidelines to include a new section titled “Artistic Expression.”
“Not everyone is going to like — or be okay with — everything about our service,” the policy reads.
It added, “We’re letting viewers decide what’s appropriate for them, rather than letting Netflix censor specific artists or voices.”
The policies came in response to employees who threatened to leave the company if it continued to work with Dave Chapelle.
The 48-year-old stand-up sparked outrage online with comments he made about transgender people during a recent Netflix special.
The streaming giant’s staff walked out in October last year in protest at the show’s anti-trans messages.
“As employees, we support the principle that Netflix offers a variety of stories, even if we find some titles against our own personal values,” the guidelines continue.
“Depending on your role, you may have to work on titles that you feel are harmful. If you’re having a hard time supporting our breadth of content, Netflix may not be the best place for you.”
Netflix’s policy change comes after the platform reported a drop in subscriber numbers for the first time in years.
In its most recent quarterly report, the company blamed password sharing, increasing competition and other factors such as the Russian invasion of Ukraine for the decline.
Musk attributed the stumbling to the company’s “wake” culture at the time, writing on Twitter, “The woke-mind virus is making Netflix unwatchable.”
The billionaire is currently fighting to buy Twitter to further leverage the platform for what he calls free speech.
He announced on Friday that the $44 billion deal is on hold due to an issue with spam and fake account numbers on the platform.
Musk, 50, wants more information on the service’s actual counterfeit count before accessing it.
But he said the delay was only temporary and that he was “still committed to the takeover”.
He tweeted about the service, saying, “The Twitter deal is temporarily on hold pending details supporting the calculation that spam/fake accounts actually represent less than 5% of users.”
The timing is bizarre as the five percent figure was announced by Twitter weeks ago.
- Read the latest phone and gadget news
- Stay up to date on Apple stories
- Get the latest on Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science Team? Email us at email@example.com
https://www.thesun.ie/tech/8805017/elon-musk-netflix-anti-woke-employees-quit-shows/ Elon Musk praises Netflix for ‘anti-wake rule’ telling employees to quit if they don’t like shows