European Finals: Honoring Leicester’s heroes as Rangers march

Wesley Fofana’s fairytale return sent Leicester into the quarter-finals of the Europa Conference League.

He was the defender – seven months off with a broken leg – who scored to keep Rennes out, even though the Foxes lost 2-1 to France.

They made it through to the eighth round with a 3-2 aggregate score after Flavien Tait’s win over Rennes on Thursday.

Fofana canceled out Benjamin Bourigeaud’s early opener and Leicester owed a save to Kasper Schmeichel to deny Serhou Guirassy as they survived Rennes’ desperate late strike.

Taking a 2-0 lead from last week’s first leg, manager Brendan Rodgers was aware of the need to weather the storm as soon as expected after Rennes scored twice in the opening 15 minutes of Sunday’s 4-2 win. before Lyon.

However, the Foxes were unable to stop the hosts and it was Bourigeaud – who also scored Rennes’s opener against Lyon – who caused the damage after eight minutes.

Martin Terrier was given too much space on the left as James Justin was dragged in and his low cross was captured by Bourigeaud from close range.

The Foxes lost Marc Albrighton to injury as a difficult start took a turn for the worse and they opened well to level the night after 16 minutes.

Harvey Barnes found a way into the area but his feeble effort was thwarted by Dogan Alemdar and Kelechi Iheanacho was unable to turn around in the match.

It was a frantic opening but the Foxes eventually settled with the return of Forfana, who suffered a terrible broken leg against Villarreal in August, impressing in defence.

Rennes, fourth in Ligue 1 and chasing the Champions League, had enough to threaten the visitors but failed to create an early advantage.

It allowed the Foxes to emerge in the second half with a new purpose and it took them only six minutes to level.

They still had time for Daniel Amartey to miss an excellent opportunity when he headed off goal too close to Alemdar, Rennes’ third choice, who turned behind.

But from the corner, Leicester restored their two-goal lead when Fofana glanced at Ademola Lookman passing the ball.

He celebrated by hugging boss Rodgers before being disturbed by the bench and the whole team, 225 days after his horrific injury.

Leicester’s injury list grew as Wilfred Ndidi limped, replaced by James Maddison, after a brave tackle against Gaetan Laborde but it failed to break their resolve.

Rennes needed two goals to send the game into extra time and they survived with 17 minutes remaining when Iheanacho’s header was ruled out for offside.

The home side then made the most of the regret when Tait gave them the lead the night after two minutes.

Adrien Truffert skipped between Justin and Lookman to cross for Guirassy and he came on for Tait to hit the bottom corner from 15 yards.

It sparked a furious attack from the hosts and only Schmeichel’s brilliant save against Guirassy with five minutes remaining sealed Leicester’s advance.

Red Star Belgrade 2 Rangers 1 (Rangers won 4-2 on aggregate)

Ryan Kent’s goal dashed Red Star Belgrade’s hopes of a comeback as Rangers reached the quarter-finals of the Europa League despite a 1-2 defeat to Serbia.

Red Star took a three-goal lead in Rangers’ first leg as Mirko Ivanic scored in the 10th minute and Allan McGregor made some brilliant saves for the visitors.

However, Kent excellently cleared the ball to level the score tonight in the 56th minute in the crucial moment of the second leg.

Rangers looked like they would find the game comfortable as Ben Nabouhane scored a penalty in injury time but too little, too late for the home team as Gers won 4-2 on aggregate.

Rangers coach Giovanni van Bronckhorst, who can face the likes of Barcelona, ​​Braga and Atalanta in a round of eight, came out with the same starting line-up that had previously won Ibrox 3-0. 7 days, showing that he is capable of scoring more goals.

The Serbian champions also started the game with the knowledge they could cause problems for Rangers after conceding three disallowed goals for offside decisions in Glasgow as well as hitting the crossbar and being saved by McGregor. a penalty kick.

Alfredo Morelos made an ambitious save for Rangers before Red Star got the early goal they always wanted.

The home side combined two-versus-one from a short angle and the cross then bounced into Rangers’ penalty area before Ivanic had time to cross down and score the home side’s goal.

The early scorer had another good chance after Red Star cut through the Gers defender’s heart but McGregor made a brilliant save.

McGregor parried Ohi Omoijuanfo’s header before Morelos went out from a difficult opportunity.

Gers soon ran away mid-half after Leon Balogun and Calvin Bassey intercepted each other from a long ball. Milan Pavkov went to great lengths to just beat McGregor.

McGregor was warned about wasting time from the tee but Rangers settled in and Morelos saved a weak shot as Kent appeared to be in a better position.

McGregor gave Rangers a two-goal lead with a brilliant save from Cristiano Piccini in the final minute of the half.

Rangers endured some pressure early in the second half. McGregor had to look lively to prevent a corner from bouncing off his near post and soon made a more relaxed save from Ivanic.

Red Star had a great opportunity when Omoijuanfo held back Bassey and tried to set up Pavkov to score the opener, but the pass was incorrect. McGregor soon made a save from Omoijuanfo before Rangers got the goal to settle the matter.

Kent kept running after passing Glen Kamara halfway and the Finnish midfielder’s shot sent the winger in his direction. Chasing Piccini stretched his hamstring, gave Kent a free kick in the box and his shot deflected and went around the keeper.

Ivanic missed a good chance and McGregor made a few other saves but Rangers looked comfortable even after losing Morelos and John Lundstram to minor injuries.

Substitute Kemar Roofe had a chance to put Rangers ahead but his shot was blocked at the near post.

The Red Star ignited a glimmer of hope when Kamara shot the ball loosely in the box and caught Filippo Falco for Nabouhane to score.

There were some angry scenes after the game as some of the Red Star players seemed to take exception to Connor Goldson’s celebration but things were placid. European Finals: Honoring Leicester’s heroes as Rangers march

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button