Everton leave late as Leicester are still seeking their first point of the season

Hanna Bennison’s free-kick was deflected by goalkeeper Kirstie Levell and gave Everton a 1-0 win over Leicester in added time at the end of the women’s Super League competition at Walton Hall Park.

Levell’s late intervention from the Swedish substitute’s dead ball decided a low-key contest in front of a sold-out crowd, leaving the visitors still looking for their first point of the campaign.

Neither side was able to create any real chances in the opening games as Leicester’s back line responded well to the hosts’ high pressure.

The Foxes got their first opportunity when Molly Pike tried to chip Emily Ramsey, but her efforts ended up in the hands of the Toffees keeper instead.

Everton’s first chance came midway through the second half when Nathalie Bjorn passed the ball to Katja Snoeijs but her attempt was blocked well by Levell.

Izzy Christiansen then tried to pick out Snoeijs, but the Netherlands international couldn’t finish and Christiansen could only watch her cross sail over the goal.

Lucy Graham had just half a chance on the edge of the box, spinning before firing wide with her less-favored left foot as the visitors blocked a sustained attack.

And at the other end, Megan Finnigan easily cleared a Jemma Purfield delivery into the box to send the side scoreless at the break.

A chance at the restart saw Josie Green’s attempt blocked and Brian Sorensen’s side survived a scare when Ramsey collided with Sam Tierney on her competitive debut for the Blues but was able to continue after an injury scare that required attention.

The visitors won a free-kick and Purfield aimed squarely at goal but saw their attempt parried by Ramsey.

Gabby George tried to get the hosts rolling, whose poor try from a tight angle was stopped by Levell.

The substitutes on both sides squandered opportunities in quick succession, with Natasha Flint unable to find a cross to head in for the Foxes before debutant Karen Holmgaard fired a sharp try at Ramsey.

Bennison nearly broke the block in the 69th minute, deftly dodging her marker before turning a shot wide of the right post.

It was the start of a period of pressure from the hosts as Gio Queiroz drove down the right and into the box but couldn’t find a good angle with her low, right-footed shot.

With few chances for either side towards the end of the game, Everton were hovering in a corner but Levell donned a glove and batted away any chance of a first goal.

Finally, as the clock ticked into the fourth minute of added time, Bennison broke the deadlock with a free-kick that headed into the top corner via the unlucky Levell.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/everton-izzy-christiansen-leicester-womens-super-league-swedish-b2179580.html Everton leave late as Leicester are still seeking their first point of the season

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button