Father to plead guilty to ‘vicious’ assault on his ‘defenseless’ three-year-old son, court says

A father-of-four has told the state he should plead guilty to intentionally assaulting and assaulting his three-year-old son in an incident last year.

At Kilrush District Court today, following the delivery of the evidence book, the 38-year-old was sent to appear at the next hearings of Ennis District Court.

Attorney Joseph Chambers, representing the defendant, told Judge Mary Larkin, “When you return to the judge, may you note that my client has entered a guilty plea and that has already been reported to the state.”

Judge Larkin said it was noted.

In the case, the man is expected to plead guilty to intentionally assaulting and abusing a child in his care on August 17 last year, in a manner likely to have caused unnecessary suffering or harm to health.

The case is moving to the district court after Judge Larkin denied the district court jurisdiction over the case in June.

After hearing an overview of the evidence against the defendant, Judge Larkin said in June that this “defenseless” three-year-old boy was the victim of a “vicious assault” by his father.

Judge Larkin made her comment after viewing photos of “the extensive bruising” on the boy’s lower back and buttocks.

The judge said she had evidence “of an extraordinary and vicious assault” on the child.

At that hearing, Sgt. Louis Moloney told the court that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) had consented to summary settlement of the case in the district court only on a guilty plea.

However, after presenting the facts and examining photographs of the injuries, Judge Larkin deemed the case “so serious that I decline jurisdiction.”

The maximum sentence if convicted of such an offense is 12 months in the District Court and the maximum sentence is seven years in the District Court.

Mr Chambers previously stated that his client informed authorities of the attack before Gardaí got involved. Mr Chambers said his client no longer has access to his four children and they live with their mother. He said the boy is now four years old.

Garda Mícheál O’Gorman gave an overview of the facts in June, saying that a sister of the defendant presented the then three-year-old to a local GP “with extensive bruising on his lower back and buttocks” and the matter was referred to Gardaí.

Gda O’Gorman said the defendant was found responsible for his four children on August 17 last year.

The Garda said that while changing the child’s diaper the next day, the man’s sister noticed the bruising and confronted the accused.

According to Gda O’Gorman, the defendant said he was frustrated and slapped him three or four times with his open palm to keep the boy from crying.

Mr Chambers said his client is mentally better now.

The defendant was sent to Ennis Circuit Court next month on the same bail conditions.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/father-to-plead-guilty-to-vicious-assault-on-his-defenceless-three-year-old-son-court-hears-42004172.html Father to plead guilty to ‘vicious’ assault on his ‘defenseless’ three-year-old son, court says

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button