The US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recently ruled that those who accidentally made a purchase in Fortnite are entitled to a refund.
In a bid to protect children and their online privacy, the FTC has ordered Epic Games to pay $275m (£225m) and owe players a further $245m (£200m) in compensation.
The verdict says Fortnite used dark patterns to trick consumers into making accidental purchases and they’re making their money back.
To find out if you’re eligible for a refund from Fortnite, read on to learn more.
Am I eligible for a Fortnite refund?
You are entitled to compensation from Epic Games if you fall into any of the following three categories.
Players do not have to complete all three; just one is enough to request your refund.
Here are the three groups entitled to compensation:
- Parents whose children have since made an unauthorized credit card purchase from the Epic Games Store January 2017 and Nov 2018
- Fortnite players intermittently being charged in-game currency (V-Bucks) for unwanted in-game items (like cosmetics, llamas, or Battle Passes). January 2017 and Sep 2022.
- Fortnite players whose accounts were banned between January 2017 and Sep 2022 after disputing unauthorized charges with their credit card companies.
You can’t claim your money back yet, but the FTC is setting up a system to help players get their money back.
Players can sign up for email updates on the FTC website to find out when the service will be available.
How to get a refund in Fortnite
Players falling under any of these three categories who purchased items using V-Bucks will receive three return tickets.
These can be used at any time to receive a refund in V-Bucks for up to three unwanted purchases.
Follow these steps to receive your refund:
- Open the lobby and go to the settings menu
- From there, click Support & Refunds, then click Return or Cancel a Purchase.
- You’ll see a screen for every in-game purchase you’ve made in the last 30 days
- Select the item you wish to return and select “Use return slip”.
- You will be shown exactly which items you are refunding; check them and select “yes”
- You will be asked if you are sure; Choose “Yes” again.
- You will eventually be taken to a success screen. Your items will be removed from your account and your V-Bucks will be returned to your wallet.
Written by Ryan Woodrow and Georgina Young on behalf of GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN.
All the latest gaming tips and tricks
Looking for tips and tricks for your favorite consoles and games? We’ve got you covered…
Get all the news about PS5, Xbox and other video games here
https://www.thesun.ie/tech/9937332/fortnite-refunds-entitled-to-compensation/ Fortnite Refunds: Find out if you’re eligible for compensation