Garda watchdog completes its investigation into the shooting of George Nkencho

The Garda Watchdog’s investigation into the shooting of George Nkencho is complete, the Sunday Independent is able to reveal.

r Nkencho, 27, was shot dead on the porch of his home in Clonee, West Dublin, in December 2020 after an altercation with Gardaí in which he refused to drop a knife.

In accordance with the protocol, the An Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission (GSOC) was tasked with investigating the circumstances of his death.

Gsoc’s “Draft Investigation Report” has now undergone external peer and legal review before being submitted to the regulator’s three commissioners for evaluation.

Several options are available to Gsoc: it can recommend taking no further action if it determines that Gardaí have no case to answer; it can send a file to the DPP office which could consider a criminal complaint; or it may make recommendations that some officers should be subject to disciplinary proceedings conducted internally by An Garda Síochána.

“While good progress has been made toward completion, this investigation remains open-ended. As the investigation is ongoing, GSOC does not intend to comment further at this time,” said a GSOC spokeswoman.

The watchdog had said it would complete its investigation by last December, the first anniversary of Mr Nkencho’s death.

Some of his siblings saw the shots as they stood at the front door when an armed officer opened fire. Shortly before, Gloria Nkencho had tried to tell Gardaí that she could help and that her brother was suffering from a mental illness.

However, when officers attempted to contain the potential for violence, she was forced to retreat inside. Mr Nkencho was fatally shot at 12.35pm.

Before the shooting, Gardaí had tried to disarm him with a graduated police response after he allegedly assaulted a shopkeeper at a Eurospar 23 minutes earlier.

Garda units arrived and followed him, repeatedly telling him to drop the knife. He refused and threatened officers when they tried to approach him.

When he reached his home, two members of the armed support unit were there and took over.

Armed officers did not know it was his home and feared he might take the people inside hostage.

He was pepper sprayed and there were two attempts to taser him.

Mr Nkencho retained possession of the knife and continued to threaten officers. Gardaí then opened fire. Garda watchdog completes its investigation into the shooting of George Nkencho

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button