Gardaí investigating the alleged attack on a GAA referee in Wexford are awaiting an official complaint

Gardaí are awaiting an official complaint as they continue to investigate the alleged assault on a GAA referee over the weekend.

The spokesman for Lake Garda’s press office confirmed last night that investigations were ongoing and that a formal inquiry could be launched if an official complaint was made.

The attack is believed to have happened at the end of a Wexford GAA Junior ‘A’ football championship game at Whiterock Hill on Sunday morning.

The match was between St Joseph’s and Our Lady’s Island Club at St Joseph’s Club Grounds in the town of Wexford.

Gardaí in the town of Wexford confirmed they have been called in to investigate the incident involving a longtime referee.

It sent shockwaves through the local GAA community.

A Garda spokesman said: “We have been called to the GAA premises in Whiterock Hill to investigate an alleged assault on the match umpire.

“We conducted an initial investigation after being informed of an incident involving (an individual) who allegedly had an altercation with the referee.

“The referee was not seriously injured. He sustained no major injuries and no ambulance was required to get to the scene. Although no arrests have been made, we will continue our investigation.”

Wexford GAA said its Competitions Control Committee (CCC) is also investigating the matter

He added: “We do not know if the referee was in hospital for treatment. That’s his business.

“But we will speak to the referee. We will continue to deal with that

Wexford GAA issued a statement on Sunday confirming it was “aware of an incident involving match officials” during a junior football game.

It added: “Wexford GAA is disappointed that such an incident has occurred and strongly condemns any threatening or abusive behavior towards our match officials of any kind.

“We wish the officers involved in this incident a speedy recovery.”

Wexford GAA said its Competitions Control Committee (CCC) is also investigating the matter and will “also assist An Garda Síochána with their investigations”.

A spokesman for the Our Lady’s Island GAA club said so Irish Independent Her team had “beaten St Joseph’s GAA Club in the last round of the Wexford Junior Football Championship”. They added: “After the final whistle, an alleged incident took place between an opposing club member and the match referee.”

The alleged attack is the second such incident involving a referee at Wexford in recent weeks.

A member of Naomh Éanna Junior Hurling Club has been handed a proposed 72-week suspension after Wexford CCC investigated an alleged attack on a referee at the end of a match with Na Fianna Clonard Club.

Meanwhile, GAA officials in Co Kerry are also investigating an Under-15 Championship game in Kilcummin where one person was treated in hospital following an incident at Sunday’s Kilcummin-Cordal game.

The game was canceled. The GAA’s board of directors said it is awaiting a report from the game umpire before taking possible disciplinary action.

The weekend’s alleged incidents are just the latest in a string of attacks on GAA umpires.

Earlier this month, GAA umpires in Co Roscommon staged a strike over the weekend after a local umpire was out
hospitalized overnight after an altercation at an under-17 game between St Aidan’s and St Dominic’s in Ballyforan, which led to the game
to be abandoned. Gardaí investigating the alleged attack on a GAA referee in Wexford are awaiting an official complaint

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button