George Alagiah has announced he will return to the BBC’s News At Six program tonight after “months of treatment”.
The 66-year-old news anchor, who was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2014, announced he was taking a break from his presenting duties in October last year.
His agent said at the time he was dealing with a further spread of the disease.
I’ll be back in the @BBC News Studio today after months of treatment. Pure coincidence – it’s been exactly 8 years to the day since I was told I had Stage 4 #coloncancer It’s so nice to be back with the News at Six team.
— George Alagiah (@BBCAlagiah) April 14, 2022
On Thursday afternoon, Alagiah tweeted: “I’m back in the @BBCNews studio today after months of treatment.
“Pure coincidence – it’s been exactly 8 years to the day since I was told I had stage 4 #coloncancer.
“It’s so nice to be back with the News at Six team.”
BBC News’ new political editor, Chris Mason, welcomed his return.
He tweeted: “Welcome back @BBCAlagiah!”
Former BBC News science editor David Shukman added: “Really delighted to have the wonderful @BBCAlagiah return to our screens tonight. George, best wishes.”
video of the day
Born in Sri Lanka, Alagiah underwent 17 rounds of chemotherapy in 2014 to treat his advanced colon cancer.
After making strides in fighting the disease, he returned to presenting duties in 2015, saying he was a “richer person” for it.
His cancer returned in December 2017 and the presenter underwent further treatment before returning to work.
In 2020, he tested positive for coronavirus after deciding, on the advice of doctors and colleagues, to stop performing in the studio during the outbreak.
https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/george-alagiah-announces-bbc-news-at-six-return-after-months-of-treatment-41554541.html George Alagiah announces return of BBC News At Six after ‘months of treatment’