Girl, 14, ‘gargled and couldn’t speak’ after taking ecstasy, which killed her

Cerys Reeve was struggling to breathe and feeling hot inside a home in Greenock, Scotland, when the tragedy struck on July 13, 2020

Cerys Reeve tragically died in July 2020 after taking ecstasy, a court heard
Cerys Reeve died in July 2020 after taking ecstasy, a court heard

A popular 14-year-old had to gargle and adjust as she fought for her life before dying after taking ecstasy, a court has heard.

Cerys Reeve was struggling to breathe and feeling hot inside a home in Greenock, Scotland, when the tragedy struck on July 13, 2020.

James McCairn, 18, is on trial in Glasgow High Court accused of “recklessly and unlawfully” giving Cerys the “potentially deadly” Class A drug. The Daily Record reports.

The guilty manslaughter charge alleges the 14-year-old then took the ecstasy at another address in the city at risk to her health, safety and life.

A witness told the court she believed Cerys, a friend of her daughter’s, tried to speak to her but the words “got stuck in her throat”.

Her friend’s mother discovered she was having a seizure while fighting for her life


Alasdair Baird )

She said Cerys was “fit” and “rigid” before ambulances arrived at her home.

Cerys was later taken to Inverclyde Royal Hospital, where she died after CPR was stopped.

McCairn faces separate charges for supplying ecstasy to others at a number of Greenock locations between November 2019 and August last year.

These include Cerys from Port Glasgow and other teenage girls.

McCairn is also accused of being concerned about cannabis supply and cocaine possession.

He denies the allegations before the High Court in Glasgow.

The court heard from the first witness who claimed she allowed Cerys to stay with her 14-year-old daughter.

The witness stated that when she went to bed at midnight, she allowed the couple to watch television in the living room.

Cerys was staying with a friend when the tragedy unfolded


Lucy Robertson / SWNS.COM)

She said she was woken up at 5 a.m. by a thud and left to investigate.

The witness claimed she saw Cerys lying on her back with her daughter on the other side of the bed.

Prosecutor Graeme Jessop asked if Cerys was making any noises, and she replied, “Gurgling noises.”

He asked, “How was her body?”

The witness: “She was sweating profusely and was very hot to the touch. I saw sweat on her neck and face.”

She added that Cerys’ eyes were “wide open” and “trying to say words but they got stuck in her throat and struggled to speak.”

The woman said she was then told by her daughter that Cerys had been taking MDMA or ecstasy.

The witness said: “Cerys just looked like she would fit all the time – her body was stiff.”

A 999 call was made and crews tended to Cerys before taking her to the hospital.

The woman claimed her daughter told her she hadn’t taken MDMA, but when questioned by police later that morning, she admitted she had.

The witness also stated that she was given a plastic bag that contained residue of white powder.

A joint protocol of the agreed evidence was previously read to the court.

The jury was told that Cerys arrived at the hospital after 6 a.m. and was put on a ventilator.

She was found to be stiff all over and had dilated pupils.

CPR was stopped at 8:08 am.

It was found that she had 3.3 micrograms per liter of MDMA in her system.

An autopsy performed determined the cause to be MDMA toxicity.

The trial before Judge John McCormick continues. Girl, 14, 'gargled and couldn't speak' after taking ecstasy, which killed her

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button