News

Girl, 8, rushed to hospital after being bitten by a venomous snake during Easter picnic

The teenager was injured at Kinver Edge on the Worcestershire-Staffordshire border on Saturday before being taken to hospital for an urgent anti-venom injection

An eight-year-old schoolgirl from Birmingham was on an Easter picnic with her family when a snake bit her finger
An eight-year-old schoolgirl from Birmingham was on an Easter picnic with her family when a snake bit her finger

A schoolgirl has been hospitalized after being bitten on her finger by a venomous snake while enjoying an Easter picnic with her family.

An adder bit the eight-year-old’s hand before she was taken to Birmingham Children’s Hospital over the Bank Holiday weekend.

The young woman – whose name has been withheld – had spent the day with her family at Kinver Edge on the Worcestershire-Staffordshire border on Saturday April 16.

When the King’s Heath School student arrived at the hospital, doctors gave him an IV drip of anti-Venom serum. BirminghamLive reports.

Fortunately, she is doing well now, but is currently being observed by doctors as a precaution.







The boy was taken to Birmingham Children’s Hospital for treatment
(

Picture:

BPM MEDIA)

Her father David Rathbone told BirminghamLive: “She was made aware of the snake’s presence by a member of our group and being a brave girl she probed the striking looking reptile with her finger.

“Unusually, the snake did not back away, but swatted at its finger.

“She let out a ‘scream’ and I took her hand and sucked hard on the wound on the tip of her index finger.

“The snake still didn’t retreat. The snake also swatted at my hand, forcing me to move my hand out of reach.







Within 15 minutes her whole hand was swollen
(

Picture:

BPM MEDIA)

“She then complained of pain and swelling so we hopped in my car to Kidderminster Hospital as the swelling on her fingers increased rapidly.

“About 15 minutes later in the minor injuries unit, her whole hand started to swell.

“The staff acted quickly and tied her hand and forearm.

“Then they made the decision to take us under a blue light to Birmingham Children’s Hospital where serum was being stored.

“She was taken to the resuscitation unit. She was in a good mood all the time as she was a very brave girl until she received an intravenous infusion of Anti-Venom serum which made her quite ill as it is a strong drug.

“After a tetanus shot, she was closely monitored. A second intravenous infusion was given around 1am today.

“She’s feeling fine now, if not a little fed up from missing out on a planned Easter egg hunt while she remains under surveillance in the hospital.”

Mr Rathbone added: “This is a very rare event and the behavior of the snake is quite bizarre, possibly triggered by the sudden change in weather at this warm period. I hope this warns hikers using similar bracken heathland.”

Continue reading

Continue reading

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/girl-8-rushed-hospital-after-26733575 Girl, 8, rushed to hospital after being bitten by a venomous snake during Easter picnic

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button