News

Grandpa choked on jacket potatoes when Mrs. Heimlich attempted maneuvers

Dave Withill, 57, from East Hull, East Yorkshire, had spent the day with his grandchildren before choking on a piece of jacket potato and dying in hospital two days later

Dave Withill choked on a piece of jacket potato at his home on Ceylon Street in East Hull, East Yorkshire
Dave Withill choked on a piece of jacket potato at his home on Ceylon Street in East Hull, East Yorkshire

A beloved grandfather has tragically choked to death on a piece of jacket potato, an inquest has found.

Dave Withill had been spending the day with his grandchildren before returning to Hull, East Yorkshire, for dinner with his wife when the incident happened.

The 57-year-old’s longtime partner, who was not named at the hearing, tried to perform the Heimlich maneuver and then called an ambulance.

However, the patient suffered brain damage and went into cardiac arrest, it said HullLive.

He died at Hull Royal Infirmary on October 18 last year with his family by his side.

In a statement read during Thursday’s hearing, Dave’s wife said: “I came back into the living room and saw that Dave was sitting up straight and I asked if he was okay and he shook his head.







An inquest ruled that Dave’s death was an accident
(

Picture:

stebbing)

“He passed out, so I tried to do the Heimlich maneuver when I realized he was choking.

“I tried to get the food out of his throat and then called an ambulance.”

Dave was diagnosed with diabetes at 39, eventually rendering him unable to walk, but he remained a doting father and grandfather with a playful sense of humor.






Dave’s wife called paramedics after attempting to maneuver Heimlich

His wife continued: “He used to tell me about the mischievous antics he used to pull when he was a kid.

“I’ve known Dave since I was 14. He wanted to invite me to a party but he didn’t have the nerve so he got his sister to ask and the rest is history.

“We have two children and Dave was a great father and brilliant with his children and grandchildren.

“He was protective and took care of all their problems.







He died at Hull Royal Infirmary two days after the incident
(

Picture:

Jon Corken/Hull Live)

“He did everything with enthusiasm. The kids used to play pranks on Dave, but he always gave it back right away and he loved it. “

The grieving widow said he had problems with his legs in later life due to diabetic necrosis and ended up using a wheelchair.

He was previously an avid hiker and went on charity walks.

She said Dave is neither a smoker nor a drinker.

However, due to his circumstances, he suffered from “some depression” as he needed help.

“But he refused to let that bother him,” she continued.

“He always started the day by telling me he loves me and he would do the same before he went to sleep.”

The couple lived together on Ceylon Street in east Hull where the choking incident took place.

When he returned home, Dave’s wife had asked what he wanted to eat and he told her a jacket potato, she said.

Coroner Lorraine Harris concluded Thursday that Dave’s death was an accident.

She said: “I offer my sincere condolences to the family. His wife gave such a lovely insight into the family fun and laughter with him.

“It is clear that he was loved dearly and he leaves a great void in the family.

“But they will have a lot of happy memories and I hope they focus on that,” she added.

Continue reading

Continue reading

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/grandad-choked-death-jacket-potato-26723660 Grandpa choked on jacket potatoes when Mrs. Heimlich attempted maneuvers

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button