The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been deemed irrelevant by a Government minister, as they face calls to have their royal titles stripped.
arry, who moved to the US to live with his wife Meghan, was criticized for attacking important institutions in the UK in the Netflix documentary about the couple.
In it, Harry accused the royal of having “a large degree of unconscious bias” and Meghan said the media wanted to “destroy” her.
Conservative MP Bob Seely said there was a “political problem” with Harry’s comments since he stepped down as a senior royal more than two years ago.
Mr Seely said he plans to introduce legislation that could eventually strip the couple of their royal titles.
The Isle of Wight MP suggested he could introduce a short bill for private members in the new year that, if passed, would see MPs vote on a resolution that could be given to the Council Privy authority downgraded the couple’s royal status.
He said he had been thinking about the bill even before the Netflix documentary came out, telling the PA news agency: “There’s a political problem.”
Mr Seely added: “As well as destroying his family and making money from his misery for public consumption, he is also attacking a number of important institutions in this country.”
Harry and Meghan have signed lucrative deals, believed to be worth more than £100 million, with Netflix and Spotify after stepping down from senior working royal positions, with documentaries as their first major productions. their first on the streaming giant.
Mr Seely asked why Harry continued to use his duke title, while “at the same time disregarding the monarchy and his family”.
I agree that they have absolutely nothing to do with this country and the advancement of this country and the royal family that I believe we all support.Employment Minister Guy Opperman
Meanwhile, jobs minister Guy Opperman said the pair were “completely unrelated” to the UK and royal advancement.
He told the BBC’s Question Time: “I think they’re clearly a very troubled couple, which I think anyone looking at them can tell it’s a sad state of affairs.
“That being said, I agree that they have absolutely nothing to do with this country and the advancement of this country and the royal family that I believe we all support.”
Video of the day
He added: “I don’t think it has had a fundamental impact on the royal family. I definitely won’t watch it. I urge everyone to boycott Netflix and make sure we really focus on the things that matter.”
However, he said the extent to which the couple’s lives were “scrubbed” by the media while they were living in the UK was “unacceptable”.
Mr Opperman said: “I do think there is a legitimate question about media intruding on some people’s private lives. It’s an ongoing debate, but it’s pretty clear that the level of impact on their lives is something that, while they were still living here, was unacceptable.”
In the documentary – whose fourth, fifth and sixth episodes will be released next Thursday – Harry said members of his family have questioned why Meghan needs media protection. more than their wives, but he said they didn’t catch on. “racial factor”.
The pair took aim at the British press, in which Meghan claimed “obscene stories” were “spread” before their wedding and the couple said they were “playing a hoax” when the articles came out presently.
Harry also talks about what he calls the “unconscious bias” of the Windsors.
The third episode of the documentary deals with an event in 2017 when Princess Michael of Kent wore a blackamoor-style brooch that was deemed racist.
“In this family, sometimes you are part of the problem rather than part of the solution,” said Harry. There is a huge degree of unconscious bias.
“The unconscious bias is actually no one’s fault. But once it has been pointed out, or defined in yourself, then you need to get it right. That is education. That is awareness. It’s a constant work of progress for everyone, myself included.”
Meghan also described her first meeting with the Prince and Princess of Wales, saying she was amazed at the “formality” of the royal family behind closed doors.
Harry said the fact that his wife is an American actress “clouded” his family’s view of her while Meghan said the media would seek to “destroy” her “no matter how good she is”. “.
He also said members of his family challenged him on why Meghan should be given “special treatment”, with attention from the media seen as a “rite of passage”. .
In what is widely seen as critical of the King’s upbringing of Harry, the duke also told of trying to come to terms with the loss of his mother Diana, who died in a car crash in 1997, “without have a lot of support, help or guidance”.
He also said he was raised by “a second family” in Africa, saying they were “friends who literally raised me”.
Of the aftermath of Diana’s death, Harry said: “I’ve been trying to balance the whole experience of a young boy trying to cope with the loss of his mother without much support, help or guide. It doesn’t seem right. It doesn’t seem fair.”
Episode one revealed that Harry and Meghan filmed footage on the phone of their experiences at the height of the Megxit crisis, with the duke filming himself at Heathrow Airport after their last public engagements as he is about to leave the UK for the last time as a senior at Royal High School.
After the documentary aired, a controversy broke out over whether the royal family and palaces were entitled to respond to the couple’s controversial show.
A senior palace source said Buckingham Palace, Kensington Palace and members of the family have not been approached for comment on the content of the series.
However, a Netflix source said the media offices of the King and Prince of Wales have been contacted in advance and given the opportunity to respond to Harry and Meghan’s statements.
Both Kensington Palace and Buckingham Palace have confirmed that they have received purported emails from a third-party manufacturing company from the address of an unknown entity and have attempted to verify the authenticity. of that email with Archewell Productions and Netflix, but never received a response.
https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/harry-and-meghan-branded-troubled-couple-who-are-irrelevant-to-uk-42206848.html Harry and Meghan deemed ‘troublesome couple’ ‘unrelated’ to UK