Harry Kane’s penalty puts Spurs in the top four and dashed Burnley’s hopes of survival

Harry Kane’s controversial penalty was enough for Tottenham to get past Burnley and put pressure on Arsenal in the race to qualify for the Champions League.

Ane struck from 12 yards in first-half stoppage time after referee Kevin Friend ruled the ball flicked on Ashley Barnes’ outstretched arm following a VAR check.

That was enough for the vital three points that will see Spurs move their north London rivals into fourth before the Gunners travel to Newcastle on Monday night.

It’s been a nerve-wracking 90 minutes at Tottenham Hotspur which would have been far less stressful if Burnley goalkeeper Nick Pope hadn’t made a series of superb saves.

Burnley almost equalized in the second half when Barnes hit the post from long range, but that defeat kept the pressure on the Clarets in their relegation battle.

It was always an attack versus defense game and Spurs camped in Burnley’s half for the first 20 minutes.

An early goal would have eased the pressure and changed the dynamic of the game, but Spurs missed a few chances to make things easier for themselves.

Kane headed straight for Pope from a Lucas Moura cross, while Pope also had to scramble to fend off a Son attempt at the near post.

A big moment came in the 16th minute when Ryan Sessegnon floated in a cross for Kane but the England captain’s header over goal was cleared off the line by Nathan Collins.


Tottenham put pressure on Arsenal (Andrew Matthews/PA)

Nervousness at the stadium grew as Burnley enjoyed a rare period of possession and they created the best chance of the game in the 28th minute.

Josh Brownhill advanced down the left and slipped into Maxwel Cornet but the Ivorian’s shot was saved well by Hugo Lloris.

Spurs were frustrated when Burnley held on, making things difficult ahead of a crucial passage in first-half injury time.

The hosts forced a corner which the Clarets seemed to clear before Moura danced into the box and pulled back for Kane, who missed a shot.

But despite minimal objections at the time, the VAR checked a possible handball when clearing the corner.


Burnley was furious with the penalty decision (Andrew Matthews

After looking at the pitchside monitor, Friend decided the ball hit Barnes’ outstretched arm and missed a penalty.

It was a lifeline for Spurs and Kane grabbed it with both hands and sent a low penalty into the corner while Pope was rooted in the spot.

Burnley didn’t make the decision well and surrounded Friend after the goal came in and the benches collided in the tunnel at half-time.

The guests used their frustration positively and started the second half with vigor and determination.

Kevin Long headed a corner just wide before they were inches from equalization just after the hour when Dwight McNeil served Barnes, whose 25-yard shot hit the post.

Burnley, pushing the body further up, opened them up for the counterattack and Spurs enjoyed more space in attack.

And they almost took advantage of it, only to be denied by a miracle save from Pope.

They switched the ball from right to left with a clean one-touch pass and ended up with Sessegnon pulling back for Son, who seemed poised to score with a low shot until Pope reached out a hand and turned it around the corner .

He was there again in the 81st minute as the same pair combined again, this time to repel another attempt destined for the roof of the net.

Those saves made it a nervous finish for Spurs, who held on to scoring a huge three points. Harry Kane’s penalty puts Spurs in the top four and dashed Burnley’s hopes of survival

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button