Henry Cavill has shared “sad news” with fans that he will not be returning to reprise his role as Superman as previously announced.
The British actor said the decision to reverse “wasn’t the easiest” but that he respects the decision of newly established DC bosses James Gunn and Peter Safran.
It comes as Gunn announced that a new Superman movie is in the works, more details to be announced in 2023.
Cavill played the DC legend in the 2013 film Man Of Steel and again in 2016 for Batman Vs Superman, alongside Ben Affleck.
But writing on Instagram on Wednesday, he said: “I just had a meeting with James Gunn and Peter Safran and it’s sad news, people. After all, I won’t be returning as Superman.
“After being informed of my return by the studio in October, before they hired, the news wasn’t the easiest, but that’s life.”
He continued: “It’s normal to change guard. I respect that.
“James and Peter have a universe to build. I wish them and all those involved in the new universe the best of luck and happiness.”
Addressing fans, he added: “For those who have been by my side all these years, we may mourn a little, but then we have to remember…. Superman is still around.
“Everything he stood for still exists, and the examples he set for us are still there! It’s my turn to put on the cape, but what Superman stands for will never exist.
“It’s been an exciting ride with all of you, onward and upward.”
https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/movies/henry-cavill-reveals-he-will-not-return-as-superman-as-previously-announced-42220785.html Henry Cavill reveals he won’t be returning as Superman as previously announced