HERO daycare staff saved a young boy from a severe allergic reaction after a mysterious red spot appeared on his face.
Staff at Astbury Lane Nursery in Congelton, Cheshire, feared young Dominic Whitham was going into full-blown anaphylactic shock.
They were giving the boy – affectionately dubbed Doodles – allergy medicine when his mother Kerri-Louise rushed to her son’s side.
Young Dominic was responding to a new oral medication for his skin condition when kindergarteners became concerned on March 23.
Speak with CheshireLiveHer mother, Kerri-Louise, revealed the horrifying moments that followed that call.
She said: “I could see straight away that his lips were swollen, his eyes were blurry, his lips were a deep red.
“I’m escalating that to the GP, I said, ‘He got his allergy meds but the symptoms seem to have spread in the 10 to 15 minutes it took me to get there.'”
Thankfully, the tough boy didn’t experience a complete collapse of his windpipe, instead being plagued by shallow, rapid breathing.
The GP told Kerri-Louise to take Dominic to the hospital, where doctors would keep an eye on him while the allergy medication wore off.
Kerri-Louise added: “Thankfully, Dominic’s symptoms didn’t progress much further because the drug was administered so early in the reaction.
Most read in The Irish Sun
“He was discharged from the hospital relatively quickly and the doctor said they were ‘lucky’ that the reaction wasn’t worse.
“She was surprised his throat didn’t close around him, it could have been full anaphylactic shock. But it wasn’t, the reaction continued as the face swelled up.”
Bub Dominic has 15 known allergens including latex, avocado, milk and beef.
He also suffers from respiratory problems and neonatal absence syndrome after developing a morphine addiction due to his mother’s disability.
Kerri-Louise was involved in a car accident at the age of 16 that left her left leg paralyzed and damaged her spine.
Neonatal abstinence syndrome occurs when a body exhibits withdrawal symptoms and begins to tremble from lack of a certain substance.
Kerri-Louise said her son wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for the quick-thinking nurses at Astbury Lane Nursery.
She said: “When I mentioned his health issues it was never an issue.
“Nothing is too much for this nursery, they did something that was so difficult at home, such a worry, they just did it.
“If he goes to kindergarten, I don’t worry because I know for sure that they will take care of him.”
Nursery manager Kate Smithers said she was “proud” of her team.
She said: “Once the girls noticed the mark on Dominic’s face, they responded immediately by giving him the care and treatment he needed.
“The team is incredible and the way they took control of the situation and knew something was wrong is a detriment to how seriously they take their role.
“It was literally a few minutes from the moment they noticed the mark to the time the rescue medication was administered.
“Throughout they stayed calm, focused and worked as a team to support each other, Dominic and his mother Kerri as well.
“As a nursery we are beyond proud of the team and their dedication to supporting all of our children and building those strong and professional relationships with their families.”
“I’m incredibly proud of them for everything they do every day for our children and their families.”
https://www.thesun.ie/health/8612564/nursery-staff-save-baby-boy-from-allergic-reaction/ Hero Kindergarten staff save the little boy from a severe allergic reaction after a mysterious red spot appeared on his face