Horror as a dog dies after inhaling grass seed in Brighton

A WOMAN whose beloved dog died after inhaling a grass seed is calling on the council to solve the overgrown weed problem.

Louise Almeida, 46, is distraught after losing her two-year-old cockatoo, Ginga.

But Brighton and Hove City Council said owners need to be mindful of where their pets are going and said the problem was “something we cannot fix”.

Louise said she was sad for Ginga, adding: “You’re really upset but I don’t know how to stop it.

The Argus: Louise with her dog GingaLouise with her dog Ginga

“Ginga was really active and healthy and everyone in central Brighton knew her.

“Her local park was just covered in grass seeds, they’re really sticky and they end up sharp.”

Ms Almeida, who lives in North Laine, noticed Ginga was very sleepy and having trouble breathing, so she took her to the vet.

The vet said the dog had a bacterial infection caused by a grass seed in her lungs. Despite being placed in an oxygen tent to help her breathe, the decision was made to have Ginga euthanized the next day.

Barley grass seeds can be dangerous to dogs as they can get stuck in paws as well as ears and noses, although grass seed fatalities are uncommon.

According to Ms. Almeida, she was told by the vet that they had not seen a case like this in 15 years.

The Argus: Ginga died as a result of inhaling a grass seedGinga died as a result of inhaling a grass seed

Ms. Almeida is urging City Council to be aware of the problem of grass seed in parks, verges and sidewalks across the city.

Anger at the extent of weeds in Brighton and Hove has been widespread since the council banned the use of weed killers.

A council spokesman said: “Barley grass has long been growing around the edges across the country. It occurs naturally and is something we cannot eliminate.

“Staff and equipment shortages caused by Covid and Brexit have made it difficult to hire the people we need to do the job.

“To minimize the risk to a dog, owners should be mindful of where their dog is walking.”

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/20713235.brighton-dog-owner-warns-council-grass-seed-death/?ref=rss Horror as a dog dies after inhaling grass seed in Brighton

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button