Parents have been warned to watch their children’s feet after a group of swimmers found nails, screws, wires and batteries in the sand on Sunday morning
Bathers were horrified after discovering thousands of sharp nails and screws strewn across a North Tyneside beach.
A group encountered the dangerous objects – some of which were “an inch long” – while taking a dip in King Edward’s Bay around 7am today.
Among the swimmers was Mallory Smith, who helped clean up the rubbish before filing a police report.
she said Chronicle Live : “There are thousands of nails there. People have no idea where they come from. Someone said it looked like roofing nails.
“There are not just one or two, but thousands of them. They looked like brand new nails.
“Some were an inch long and if they were pointing up and someone stepped on them, it could have been quite awkward.
“A lot of people picked them up and collected bags and bags full.
“Some of the bags were too heavy to carry. I made a police report at 9.30am and took one of the bags to the Silverlink Police Station.”
The 69-year-old, who is part of a local community group called Totally Tynemouth, expressed concern at children being injured by the nails, screws, wires and batteries scattered in the sand.
She added: “People are just angry and upset. Lots of people come down with their kids and we tried to tell parents to watch their kids feet.
“Hopefully nobody got hurt.”
The Mirror has reached out to Northumbria Police for comment.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/horror-thousands-sharp-nails-screws-27276355 Horror when thousands of sharp nails and screws were found strewn around popular British beach