A HOSE and sprinkler ban has been announced for customers of South East Water in Sussex.
The company said the ban would begin on Friday, August 12.
The ban also applies to customers in Kent.
South East Water said it would limit the use of a hose or sprinkler to “ensure we have enough water for essential uses and to protect the environment”.
A statement on South East Water’s website said: “This has been a period of extreme weather conditions across the UK.
“Official figures show this to be the driest July since 1935, and the period between November 2021 and July 2022 was the driest eight-month period since 1976.
“In July, we saw just eight percent of the average rainfall in the south-east of the month, and the long-term forecast for August and September calls for similar weather.
“Demand for water this summer has broken all previous records including the Covid lockdown heatwave.
“We produce an additional 120 million liters of water per day to supply our customers, which is equivalent to the daily supply of four other cities the size of Maidstone or Eastbourne.”
Around 2.2 million customers across Sussex and Kent are likely to be impacted by the ban.
South East Water is the second UK water company to introduce a hose line ban so far this summer.
Last week Southern Water announced a ban on nearly a million of its customers in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, taking effect on Friday 5 August.
With this, garden hoses may no longer be watered or cars cleaned, ornamental ponds and private swimming pools may no longer be filled.
Failure to comply with the restriction can result in criminal prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.
Water consumption increased by almost 100 million liters per day in the past month.
Southern Water shipped an average of 631 million liters of water per day to customers in July, up from the usual average of 540 million liters.
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/20596762.hosepipe-ban-announced-south-east-water-customers-sussex/?ref=rss Hose ban announced for South East Water customers in Sussex