IF you think it’s time to delete Facebook, you’ve come to the right place.
Whether you want to deactivate your account temporarily or close it for good, there are some simple steps.
How to deactivate my Facebook account
Deactivating your Facebook account doesn’t have to be permanent, but the following steps remain the same.
- First, click the down arrow in the top right corner of your home page.
- Select ‘Settings’ from the drop-down list.
- On the left side of the ‘Settings’ page, select ‘Your Facebook Info’.
- Then, click ‘View’ next to ‘Deactivate and remove’ at the bottom of the list.
- Two options will appear: ‘Deactivate account’ and ‘Delete account’.
- If you want temporary removal, select the first option, then click ‘Continue to deactivate my Facebook account’.
- You will be asked to re-enter your password before clicking ‘Confirm’.
- Finally, choose the reason for leaving the given list.
Once you’ve chosen a reason to leave, you can proceed to deactivate your account.
You can also choose to opt out of receiving emails from Facebook, as emails may continue to arrive even after you deactivate them.
Will deactivating the account delete it?
No, deactivating your account does not delete it because Facebook still keeps the account and all its data.
This is a case where a user decides to go back and reactivate their account.
But this data will not be available to other users while the account is disabled.
There is a separate option if the user wants to permanently delete their Facebook account.
However, a Facebook spokesperson said that even if a user chooses to delete their account forever, the site will wait 14 days after receiving the request before they actually delete the account.
This lets people who accidentally submit a removal request let the site know so they can cancel the request.
What happens when you deactivate your Facebook account?
While your Facebook account is disabled, no one can see your user profile or any information.
Friends can’t tag you in photos, comments, or posts.
Your posts on your friend’s profile may remain – however, your name will not appear as a hyperlink for other users to click on and link to your profile.
Facebook Messenger will still work, and you’ll still be able to chat with your Facebook friends through the Messenger app.
Delete Facebook Messenger
If you also want to deactivate Messenger, follow these steps:
- Open the Messenger app from your phone or iPad.
- Tap your profile picture in the top left corner.
- Then select ‘Account Settings’ near the bottom of the list.
- Click ‘Personal Information’, followed by ‘Manage Account’.
- You will then be given the option to Deactivate Messenger.
You can return to Facebook at any time after deactivating your account, by logging back into the website in the usual way.
https://www.thesun.ie/tech/5705100/facebook-deactivate-delete-account/ How do I deactivate my Facebook account and will that delete it?