IT’S ONE of the most common office faux pas – sending an email only to quickly realize you made a mistake.
Luckily for trigger-happy typists, Microsoft lets you recall messages sent in Outlook in a few simple steps.
1. What is email recall?
An email recall can prevent the recipient from seeing the message sent in error.
If you sent the email between Outlook accounts or to another Microsoft account, you’re in luck.
Once a message has been recalled, the recipient can no longer access the content or attached files.
However, for you to be able to use this handy electronic eraser, the recipient must also be an Outlook user or be part of the same organization.
This means a colleague – or even worse, the boss – who also works on a desktop computer with the same Outlook software as you.
2. How to recall an email in Outlook
There are seven easy steps to turn back the clock and snatch back those pesky rogue emails.
It’s important to realize that the recipient may need to open the recalled message first for the original message to disappear.
- Log into your desktop app and click on the Sent Items folder, find the email you want to recall and double click on it.
- Next, click on the “Message” tab at the top of the screen in the toolbar and then click on the “Move” section.
- Then click the More Move Actions button, which looks like a letter and an envelope.
- A drop-down list will appear with the message “Recall this message” – click on this option.
- A window will appear with two options – delete unread copies of this message or delete unread copies and replace them with a new message. Select the option you want.
- If you have decided to send a replacement message, a second window will appear where you can undo the message.
- Finally, press send on your revised message. Outlook will also send you a notification telling you whether the callback was successful or failed.
3. What do I need to recall an email in Outlook?
To access the option to recall messages, you must be using a computer in your organization’s hub.
This means that Outlook will be a desktop program on a laptop or computer that allows the user to access email without logging on to the Internet.
So if you want to delete that embarrassing, incorrect, or incomplete email, make sure you access the email on your company computer.
Then follow the simple steps above to delete or resend a replacement message.
Now puff out your cheeks, wipe your forehead and get on with your day job.
The best tips and hacks for phones and gadgets
Looking for tips and hacks for your phone? Want to find these secret features in social media apps? We’ve got you covered…
Get the latest news about WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook and other tech gadgets here.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science Team? Email us at email@example.com
https://www.thesun.ie/tech/6638558/how-to-recall-email-outlook/ How to recall an email in Outlook